Music Scene

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: June 2004 Archive: Music Scene
By Collegebound123 (Collegebound123) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

This is probably going to be an unexpected question (and this won't change my decision on what college I want to go to, I'm just asking out of curiousity), but is there any college/university in particular with a big songwriting/singing scene?

By Collegebound123 (Collegebound123) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

bump

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

Can't speak to individual schools here, particularly since over time this tends to come and go on various campuses. You may read that Band X and singer/songwriters Y and Z went to certain colleges, but the next set of artists you read about will have attended (or more likely, dropped out of) other schools.

However, you'd be wise to look at schools with high concentrations of fine arts and humanities majors and at schools with large and/or high-quality music departments or conservatories.

Also, schools in cities and towns with vibrant off-campus music scenes (like Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Nashville, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Austin Texas etc.) are good bets as those activities and opportunities are not only available, but front and center in local media, which has a way of inspiring things on campus.

By Tel0r (Tel0r) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Seattle oughtta be on that list.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

You would be hard pressed to find a higher population of singer/songwriters than in the immediate area surround Vanderbilt's campus. I did a search the other day. Last Saturday night, there were 56 different shows at clubs and coffee houses in Nashville, the vast majority within a couple miles of Vandy and almost all priced between $5 and $10. Many of them were open-mike deals.

As far as hotbeds of campus music, that seems to come and go. Berklee in Boston is, of course, huge. For a long time, the Univ. of Miami was a hotbed of jazz/fusion rock with Steve Morse, Jaco Pastorius, and Pat Metheney all there at the same time. I'm sure that NYU has never let up.

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

You might look at USC

By Dudedad (Dudedad) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

The Washington Post had an article about Athens, GA a few months ago. I think that's where the B52s and REM got started, and it still sounds like an interesting incubator of music.

Also try Austin and New Orleans for music scenes.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Berklee College of Music in Boston

By Brownlovespink (Brownlovespink) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

UT Austin has a rocking music scene. After all, Austin is the "live music capital of the world".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page