Lack Of A College Discussion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Lack Of A College Discussion
By Wonderman1125 (Wonderman1125) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

I do not understand those who reply to messages on this website. People all over the country are spilling out their "business" to people, yet the lack of support to colleges with less of a "name" are not replied to or even not looked at. I myself, have created threads about SCU and BU, and time and time again, no response or very few. I appreciate greatly those who look at the colleges that aren't considered the Top Tier. I, got into the "name" schools like Georgetown, Emory, Northwestern, and Cornell, yet my interests and financial options lead me to SCU and BU. I wonder if I put those colleges down on the topic people will more likely respond? So what I ask is to just acknowledge the little schools, the schools without the football team or without the "name" to get attention. I am not trying to point the finger, I myself am guilty of this at some occasions but I have worked on it a lot and have taken a step back to become aware of the person who is writing the message from a small state school or private school. Please make it an effort to give advice to all people because that's what I think this site is about. A place where high schools students can open up and get some valuable information from people. God Bless.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

I don't think people are ignoring your posts about lesser-known colleges. Actually, you just answered your own question. Since those schools don't have the big name, people don't know about them as much as the ivies or other top tier schools.

And I haven't read your posts, but unless BU is giving you a full scholarship or just a huge amount of money, I wouldn't go there over Georgetown/Emory/NU/Cornell. Academically, my own state school is just as good as BU (of course, specific programs are another issue).

By Wonderman1125 (Wonderman1125) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

It's a fact that the smaller schools do not get the same attention. Why not inquire about the schools like SCU? BU is a fine school for me, I am a city boy that has grown up in the Jesuit Community, that's my discrepancy. I have been accepted to the school of history with honors and I have been "ok'd" both schools to play on the golf team. So that's why BU and SCU.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

It might help if you would spell out the school's name at least once.

I know what BU is, but I am sure there are people, especially from outside New England, who are playing a guessing game.

I have no earthy idea what SCU is.

By Wonderman1125 (Wonderman1125) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

SCU is Santa Clara University. It's a small Jesuit school in the Bay Area. BU is Boston University-urban environment with no campus. I appreicate you all responding thus far.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

The thing is, people might not respond if they do not know the school. Like InterestedDad, I had no idea what SCU was! You now said the school name but I have not heard of it so could not offer a response, simple as that. I could say a thing or two about BU, do not know it well but did go to college and grad school in Boston. Seems to me that those two schools are VERY different. And what really matters is what YOUR criteria is in college selection. If you wrote a post that decribed your criteria and then the pros and cons (as you saw them ) regarding the schools you are considering, then people might advise you. We do not even need to know the schools well if you approach it that way. I have seen kids post what qualities about each school on their final list they are contemplating and people then give gut reactions as to which school sounds like the better fit. Just an approach.

Susan

By Desrtswimer (Desrtswimer) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

SCU and BU are extremely different and i really don't know what you are looking for. i try to avoid posts like this because i really dont want ot give the wrong opinion or i dont know it makes me nervous. BUT from what i know:

Santa Clara is a pretty small school but i have a friend who visited there actually this week, she loved it, its close to Stanford and in a nice area and yada yada. She also got into syracuse and vassar and would rather go to to SCU.

I also have a friend who goes to BU and she again loves it there. there is not a whole lot of campus unity, from what i have heard, they dont have a football team, which for me would be an instant turn-off (oh wait it was thats why i didnt apply there! ;-) and no real campus.

it comes down to this:
do you want a small liberal arts school in cali with a beautiful campus, nice environment, good school spirit or do you like the urban boston with the big time city by it and a more do-you-own thing approach?

I know you have ONE day so this is probably delayed but whatever!!

ps. you should come to nu, thats where im going ::grin:: had to state my bias!!

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

>> SCU is Santa Clara University.

Thanks. I was going to guess Southern Christian University.

By Asdad (Asdad) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:56 am: Edit

I know the two schools by name only.
Not enough to give an educated response on either.
Where would you rather live for 4 years?

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

I know two women who are graduates of Santa Clara University. Both are from very well educated families that place education as their top priority. They both loved the university. One of the women, now 51, has three master's degrees and works in education. She just became principal of a private elementary school. The other woman, about 23, is applying to graduate school in psychology. Both are very accomplished, rather traditional, very focused people.

Santa Clara has a good reputation as a private college here on the west coast. Wouldn't you rather be in the pleasant sunshine than in the snow and ice?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Wonderman, I posted a similar response elsewhere but will post it here as well to make sure you see it.

I think the private schools in California in general don't get the respect they deserve simply because so many people focus on the UC's. People even dismiss schools like Pomona and Harvey Mudd for this reason. If Santa Clara were on the east coast, people would compare it to Holy Cross or Providence College or possibly even Boston College. Alas, it's on the west coast where people tend to think only the UC's are the only schools worth considering. It's a shame because there really are some excellent schools here in California that are overlooked by many people and that can provide an education equal to or even superior to the UC's. (This is a personal beef of mine).

I think you should go with your instincts about where you would feel happiest and most comfortable. You will get a good education at either school. Santa Clara is a great school with excellent academics, I have looked at their programs in detail and been quite impressed with their faculty, student support, and available courses for a smaller school --- but don't go there unless it feels like the RIGHT school for you. Conversely, don't choose BU because you think you "should" --- do it because it feels right for YOU.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

In that other post you also said:
The diversity at SCU is slim to none(mostly white), I am not sure about Emory. >>

Actually, this is not at all true. Santa Clara:
Hispanic 13%, Asian American 20%, African American 2%, Native American 1%, White 62%.

Boston U: 2% African American, 12% Asian American, 5% Hispanic, 75% white.

Just thought you should have the facts. SCU is actually one of the most ethnically diverse campuses in the U.S.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

Another factoid or two that might help you realistically compare the two schools:
Santa Clara male:45% female:55%
Boston U male: 40% female: 60%

Freshman SAT stats:
BU: 1200-1370
SCU: 1100-1300

Class sizes:
Boston U: 56% of classes have fewer than 20 students, 34% have 20-49 students, 10% have 50 or more students.
SCU: 32% of classes have fewer than 20 students, 64% have 20 to 40 students, 4% have 50 or more.

Faculty:
BU: 82% have a Phd or other terminal degree, 2500 full time, 992 part time
SCU: 91% have earned a Phd or other terminal degree, 413 full time, 259 part time

Graduation rates and grad study:
BU: On average 87% of freshmen return for sophomore year, 62% graduate within 4 years. 25% of students pursue further study immediately after graduation.

SCU: 93% of freshmen return for sophomore year, 75% graduate within 4 years. 20% pursue graduate education immediately after graduation.

Proportion of students receiving financial aid:
BU: 46%
SCU: 56%

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

>> Boston U: 56% of classes have fewer than 20 students.

Stats or not. I would NOT attend BU expecting a small-school, intimate setting. It's a big school, housed in building on city streets, without a great deal of campus feel. It would be very, very different than what I have seen of most California schools (although I have not seen SCU specifically). So, if you are thinking "ivy-covered halls" or similar "New England" picture postcard images, think again. BU is a city school. Odds are that, as a BU student, you will be finding your own city apartment to live in.

The President of BU, John Silber, has worked very dilligently to improve the reputation of BU - increasing the U's research sales, luring some trophy profs, and using merit aid to boost the student body "stats". There was a fairly lengthy article in the Boston Globe Sunday magazine about a month ago. Probably could find it online.

Silber has a lot of detractors, But, Just as a distant observer, I'd say he's done an OK job. Certainly the perception of the school has improved dramatically from where it was 30 years ago.

But, with your choice, you really have to honestly think through the realities of an urban campus in a Northeast city and whether that kind of "gritty" experience is right for you. BU ain't like California!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page