Whitman or Knox?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Whitman or Knox?
By Toyo2004 (Toyo2004) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 02:45 am: Edit

From NYU, Knox, University of Washington and Whitman I have narrowed my decision down to Whitman or Knox. Knox gave me $13,500, about half tuition in merit. Whitman gave me a $4,000 scholarship. I visited Whitman and really liked it, but I have not visited Knox so I am a little apprehensive. If anyone has any experience with either of these schools I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

By Sing_It_Sweet (Sing_It_Sweet) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:01 am: Edit

Knox is a great college. The administration is wonderful...everything runs smoothly there. Also, I am pretty sure Knox has a higher placement into graduate schools than Whitman (their Pre-law is excellent). Having known some people that go there, I would say that the sweetest people attend the college...the student body is very open and accepting. And, Chicago is not that far away!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I'd say the overall feel of both is pretty similar - lots of friendly, happy people at both schools. If you liked the way Whitman felt, then Knox should be a fit as well. Whitman students seem just a little more liberal and wealthier to me than the average Knox student but that's just my opinion, not necessarily fact. Definitely more racial diversity at Knox than at Whitman.

The Knox campus is pretty - has a real "old fashioned" feel to it. The library looks like a library should - glass doors on the bookcases, wood paneling, long wooden tables.

In the Pacific Northwest, Whitman has an excellent reputation with employers - something to keep in mind if you plan on living there after graduation. Knox probably has a fine reputation with Chicago employers, however.

One thing you should also be aware of is that Knox has had some endowment problems in the past few years --- may not affect your day-to-day experience as a student but if your scholarship is based on merit, you might want to double check with financial aid on how likely it is to be renewed for all four years (ask specifically how many freshman do not get their merit scholarships fully renewed) and make sure you understand what GPA you need to be assured of having it renewed. If it checks out, definitely consider Knox.

Really, you can't go wrong with either school. Good luck in your decision.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page