Penn or Colgate?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Penn or Colgate?
By Lafleur (Lafleur) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I'm having trouble deciding between the University of Pennsylvania and Colgate University. (I know, they're almost complete opposites.) I don't expect anyone on here to make the decision for me; I'm just looking for input. So anyone who knows anything about either school or has attended either or just has an opinion, please feel free to reply. I want the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks!

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I usually root for LACs but I think Colgate is a bit too far off the beaten path and too cold for me. I like having a city closer than Colgate does. So I pick Penn.

However, Colgate is a top LAC with all the nurturing and small classes and other goodies these type of colleges offer. Also a bit more like a mini university in social amenities, from what I hear. I have a friend who has sent two of hers there and both did well and loved it. Very preppy and very party, they described it.

By Caliel130 (Caliel130) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Colgate.

'cause then you can hang w/ me...:)

seriously though, it is an awesome school...great academics, social scene, school spirit, people, gorgeous campus, etc..

By Wjb (Wjb) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Lafleur -- After deliberation, my daughter chose Colgate over a top 25 university. She was sold by the faculty's commitment to teaching and interacting with undergrads, the great opportunities for participating in campus organizations, the small classes, and especially by the students, who truly love their college. We had the chance to speak at some length with Colgate's president. Most impressive. AMong other things, she let us know that Colgate had hired 11 of its 12 top faculty choices this year, including 3 of 4 choices that had been Princeton's top picks as well. For more info, check out the thread entitled "Northwestern v. Colgate" in the April 2004 archives of the Parents' Forum. Good luck with your decision.

By Pennster (Pennster) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Well in this case you'd be having to choose Colgate over a top 5 university. Penn's student:faculty ratio is 6:1 and the most frequent class size is 10-19 (pr.com). Penn, like most Ivies, also has students who love their school and because Penn is a much larger school, the opportunities are greater. I'd say go with Penn unless you have some other major criteria to consider.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Pennster -- Penn is not a Top 5 university because it is not Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford or MIT.

By Accbball (Accbball) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Penn is a Top 5 strictly by USNews Rankings, it ties for 5th with Duke and Stanford.

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Go to Penn. It's a lot better. Plus, I know a guy who went to Colgate and then transferred because he hated it.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

For every example, there's a counterexample. To what Duncan79 said, I know of a guy who went to Penn and then transferred because he hated it -- and transferred to Colgate.

You know the pros and cons of both schools, so at this point it becomes a question of what your gut (and heart) tells you. Let us know what you decide; you've got one day left.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page