Canadian Engineering Waterloo or UofT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Canadian Engineering Waterloo or UofT
By Dragontini (Dragontini) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:36 am: Edit

I received an offer from Waterloo and Uof Toronto for electrical engineering. Which school should I choose? Thanks

By Ent123 (Ent123) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Since this is a similar topic to another thread (in the archives :( ) which I responded to (in which people were like WATERLOO MUST), here's a copy and paste of my 2 cents:

I would exercise caution over automatically assuming that the University of Waterloo is the best for engineering (or electrical in your case). First of all are you 100% sure that electrical engineering in particular is going to be your career path vs. other disciplines? If not, keep in mind that more underrated universities such as Queens or McMaster have a common first year program that allow you to make a more accurate decision after being with the programme first hand, and although not guaranteed, you have an almost certain chance of making it to your pick of discipline after your first year (in Queen's case they haven't declined offers in the history of their faculty but reserve the right to do so).

Co-op isn't unique to Waterloo either. McMaster and Carleton have co-op programmes (though optional) and Toronto/Queens have their internships. And I wouldn't necessarily assume that EE itself in other universities is necessarily inferior to Waterloo either. Toronto's is considered to be more academic vs. applied in comparison and has the largest range of elective courses in their Electrical/Computer Engineering department compared to any other university in Canada. This allows Toronto to go pretty deep into areas that aren't part of traditional electrical curriculums (ex. photonics, bioelectricity). And an American ranking, the Gourman Report, ranked it as #1 in Canada (though I personally don't find that report to be trustworthy, it shows that someone else besides Waterloo is ranked #1 by some Americans at least)

By Dragontini (Dragontini) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Hey Ent123, if you happen to see this board again, can you tell the link to the old archive you are talking about, thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page