Competition at UC Berkeley

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Competition at UC Berkeley
By Nvuong704 (Nvuong704) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:49 am: Edit

I'm having a real tough time with UCLA vs. Berkeley. I heard the competition is just so much more intense at Berkeley. I hear UCLA is getting just as competitive also. Isn't undergrad not as important when going to grad school?

Comfort zone is also something else. It's good to stay close to home with UCLA (40min). Berkeley is like 7 hours away, but staying out of your comfort zone would help you focus on studying. I don't really want to be buried under books for the next four years either.

Any opinions and advice guys? Thanks alot.

By Roh (Roh) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

i heard you have very little contact with your professors at UCB because all the classes are so big.
same with UCLA too...i think.

i'd rather go there for grad school.
i would never pick them as my choice for undergraduate school.
it's too competitive for me. i'm not super smart, but quite bright.
still, i don't want to die in UCB or UCLA! my gpa would be like 3.0 or something.

By Taboho (Taboho) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

i went to berkeley undergrad for architecture. it was not as competitive an atmosphere as it's billed to be, and instead, i made some really close friends in my classes. some of the 1st and 2nd year classes are indeed quite big (poli sci 1 was around 600 students), but my architecture classes were usually <20-30 students. i even had a graduate class with only 4 people. berkeley's all about finding your own path. it's so big that you can do anything u want, and if you want small classes, you'll find small classes. Also, the faculty is very accessible for a large university. i called all my professors by their first names and still keep in touch with a few.

i disagree with you that undergrad is less important than grad school. if anything, it's more important. undergrad is a time when you find yourself and develop a sense of the world. i recently got accepted to columbia and visited the campus there, and my first thought was high fortunate i was to choose berkeley over other ivy leagues. berkeley is a place that allowed me to grow. other schools simply don't have the social dynamics as berkeley.

in regards to UCLA (and not to put anyone down), i've met some people from UCLA and have visited the campus myself, and i'm not impressed. the place feels superficial, and the quality of education and prestige cannot really be placed on the same tier as berkeley, columbia, mit, etc.

hope my 2 cents helps.

By Nvuong704 (Nvuong704) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Thanks for the help.

The way I see it is that UCLA isn't as great as Berkeley, but it is within comfort zone. That could or could not be a good thing. Going to Berkeley would break that comfort zone, and probably pit me in an environment where I really do focus and study hard like everyone else.

Still seems like a tough decision. Only a couple days left...

By Mkhman (Mkhman) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Pick UCLA, its way better. Too much competition at Berkeley. I know a friend who studies day and night as a science major and still gets a C. its impossible to score high.

By Rana (Rana) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

MKHman: "its impossible to score high"? Hmmm...then who was I giving those A's in my classes to?

Nvuong: If you're looking for short cuts in your education then both UC Berkeley and UCLA are probably the wrong schools for you.

By Roh (Roh) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

you'll be fine at both schools.
just prepare for the fact that you'll have to study harder than people who go to other UC's.

By Dan23 (Dan23) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

Roh- Is that true? Is Berkeley really harder than, say, Davis? (I'm talking about PoliSci, or maybe Geography).

By Mintbee (Mintbee) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

rana-

are you a prof at berkeley?

By Roh (Roh) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Dan23: most likely.
it actually depends on your major.
i don't know about political science.

but if your major was engineering at UCB, then you'll have to take all of those insane calculus and physic classes with hundreds of people crowded into each room.
i heard that people often cheat because there's so much people in a classroom. they would use cell phones to instant message each other during a test. they can also store information and equations into their graphing calculators. lol

UCB and UCLA are both extremely good schools.
i don't think you should give them up to go to davis instead.

By Tracilynn (Tracilynn) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I have been accepted into both UCLA and UC Berkeley. At UCLA I have been accepted as a pre-political science major (meaning I still need one more under division class) and as a student in the college of letters and science at Berkeley (meaning I can declare any major with in this college). I am torn because I have always wanted to go to Berkeley but I have grown up and lived in SF and the bay area all my life (im 20). At either school I would live in transfer dorms but I feel that I still need to move. Any comments?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page