Info about ED por favor

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Info about ED por favor
By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Let's just say that I get accepted into a school through early decision. I have to withdraw my other applications.

The question is that if I can't afford the college I was accepted to how would I be able to enroll in any college?

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Does anyone know of any cases like this?

By Nanagose (Nanagose) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

All the schools I know of that have ED, have a "backing out" policy. They only let you do it if your financial package is not adequate. Now, I don't really know how you would demonstrate to the school that you can't pay the bill (especially when the financial aid office has already looked at all your documents), but I know of people that have done it. If your financial situation truly does not allow you to attend your ED school, you can either call the financial aid office to explain your financial circumstances again and try to get a better package (but be nice!), OR you can call the admissions office and talk to them about cancelling your ED agreement.

Just know that this isn't an "easy out." They will look at all your financial stuff again. Lots of schools will find a way to let you pay for the tuition if you call and work something out. So if you get into your dream school ED, don't worry too much about not getting enough money. However, if your other schools aren't too far below your ED school, or if the financial aid office cannot offer you any more aid, then don't hesitate to pursue a cancellation of your agreement.

By Nanagose (Nanagose) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

PS--the best idea at this point is to call up the college you want to apply to ED and ask them what their exact policy is. You don't even have to give your name, you can just be a prospective student with a question

By Adjlad (Adjlad) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Thanks Nanagose.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

If $ may be a consideration, don't apply ED. If $ is important, you need to give yourself the best financial options possible, which means applying to several schools and seeing which ones offer the best deal.

While one can back out of ED for financial reasons, do realize that one's guidance counselor may not make the same effort for you in your next batch of applications. Also, if colleges hear that you were accepted ED, they may not accept you. They may not realize that you were released from your ED commitment.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page