Only a few days left, help me decide Berkeley or UChicago

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Only a few days left, help me decide Berkeley or UChicago
By Citronade (Citronade) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Well May 1st is closing in and I am still pretty much 50/50 in regards to whether I should go to UChicago or Berkeley. I'm planning on majoring in physics and they both have great programs. I've visited both campuses and while I like the Berkeley campus a lot more than Chicago's, the academic environment at Chicago seems to suit me better. My main concerns about Berkely are the large student body and crowded campus, and me not fitting in being an out of state student (not to mention the high cost of out of state tuition). On the other hand the core at chicago scares me into thinking it will lower my GPA enough to reduce my chances at getting into a good grad school. I'm also not too sure how the quarter system at chicago stacks up to the semester system at berkeley. Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

By Asdad (Asdad) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Chicago

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

I would personally go to U of Chicago just becaues it's student to teacher ratio is liek 4:1 and I don't think you can get that Berkeley.

By Barrett (Barrett) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

"On the other hand the core at chicago scares me into thinking it will lower my GPA enough to reduce my chances at getting into a good grad school."

Citronade, I don't think you need to worry about this unsubstantiated side effect of Chicago's unique curriculum -- or at least, to my mind, such an assumption about grades has got to be last thing that creators of that curriculum intended to engender in their students.

Moreover -- while we're on the topic of grades -- who's to say that the University of Chicago doesn't have a problem with grade inflation? Just this month, an article in The New York Times drew attention to a survey conducted by Princeton last year in which it was determined "that A's made up between 44 percent and 55 percent of undergraduate grades at 11 institutions: the eight Ivy League colleges plus Stanford, M.I.T. and the University of Chicago."

The complete story is here:

http://www.uh.edu/ednews/2004/nytimes/200404/200400409princetongrades.html

You be the judge....

(And I'll cast my vote for Chicago over UC-Berkeley.)

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Go for Chicago! amazing school, great campus, and absolutely fantastic city...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page