Communications- SDSU or UCSB....3 days...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Communications- SDSU or UCSB....3 days...
By Lilmsruby (Lilmsruby) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I cant decide where to go.... SDSU oR UCSB... who has a better communications program? I want to eventually work for a radio station..... organize events, then move on to a host.. what school will look better on my resume?

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

first off, radio stations don't hire someone mainly because of the name of their undergrad college. They hire someone because they think they can do the job, and the way you show you can do the job is by working on the college radio station, getting internships in the real radio stations in town, other journalism experience, etc.

A more prestigious college is nice all other things being equal, but most people skip over the "all other things being equal" part and focus on the "more prestigious". And for most applicants all other things are most definitely NOT equal. Experience is what you need, so focus on getting that and enroll in the college you prefer. UCSB has a better academic reputation but for your career that isn't really the main thing. However for YOUR personal development its probably a better choice; you'll be more challenged in class and face higher standards. The number of jobs in radio/TV is far fewer than that in areas such as accounting, marketing, sales, and so on, so if you're going to face keen competition in the future for jobs why not get some practice handling it now?

But don't take my word for it, the importance of outside activities in getting into radio. If you want to work in radio you shouldn't have any trouble calling up complete strangers and talking to them. So whatever town you're in now , call up the program director this afternoon at five local radio stations and ask her/him what they look for in hiring people. Ask if the college matters. I'll bet you'll hear what I've said, but you NEED to make these calls to hear for yourself, and if you can't make them for whatever excuse (too busy, don't know who to call, whatever) then you ought to ask yourself just how realistic your dream of working in a communications field is.

Assuming you become convinced that internships and so on are the key to breaking into radio, there is an excellent book out there that talks about how college students can do things that help lead to a job as well as focusing on academics. Its called "Major in Success" by Combs and is a great read for any college student.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page