NYU vs Haverford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: NYU vs Haverford
By Astroboy (Astroboy) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Where should I go? I have never been to either campus.

By Windswept (Windswept) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Well, those are very different schools. Haverford is tiny and NYU is huge! Do you want a small, close-knit, safe community (Haverford) or an urban, more factory-like environment. I've heard some people who go to NYU end up feeling lonely/ignored because they don't get much personal attention. My friend got a bad feeling from NYU when she visited the campus.

I visited Haverford and am considering going there. it's an attractive campus and there's access to philladelphia. (another consideration--do you want to be in NYC?) I'm a little skeptical about the size though, at Haverford...it could feel constricting after awhile since there are less than 2,000 people. But it has a good reputation and the people seem nice. What are your interests? What are your stats, too? I got into the General Studies program at NYU, which isn't quite an acceptance; it seemed second rate. I got into Haverford though.

By Astroboy (Astroboy) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

I've heard about the great reputation of haverford before. But at times it seems like Haverford's ranking and "reputation" are its strongest assets?

I also go into the General Studies program at NYU. Are you not considering NYU at all? Why not?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

No contest: if you're interested in business, film or communications, go to NYU. If you're interested in pre-law, pre-med, or any of the "liberal arts" go to Haverford. The education you'll receive at Haverford will be heads and shoulders above NYU in those areas, in my opinion.

By Windswept (Windswept) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I applied to CAS at NYU, and they said no, but I could do GSP. So, they made it sound like GSP was for second-rate students, who weren't quite up to par and who couldn't make it in CAS. It confused me; I mean, you do this two year program w/special teachers and classes...I never got back to them on that. Did you have to have an interview and all that? See, I never did that. It just didn't sound ideal. What kind of GPA/test scores do you have? I didn't know NYU was so competitive.

As for Haverford, the good things you've heard can't all be untrue. The reputation does count for something, don't you think? But if you love NYC and want a big school, go to NYU.

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

In terms of rep, Haverford has the edge.

The most important factor is whether or not you would be comfortable at a huge school. NYU has NO CAMPUS. That's right. It's just a collection of spread-out buildings in a very hip section of NYC. As a result, it can be very lonely. Classes are also large. At Haverford, you will def. get a community atmosphere (beautiful campus, btw), and since it is really close to Philly and is in a consortium with Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore and has cross-registration with Penn, you can interact with a lot of different people. I'd choose Haverford hands down, but it's really a personal decision. If you're having any doubts/fears about college in social/academic terms, NYU would not make you feel better, whereas Haverford would really help you along.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

rhkid have u ever actually visited nyu? ... washington square park helps make it more campusy

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page