UC Santa Cruz or the University of Oregon? only 4 days left.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UC Santa Cruz or the University of Oregon? only 4 days left.
By Kate12 (Kate12) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

I've finally narrowed down my college choices to either UC Santa Cruz or the University or Oregon, but I'm completely stuck! I have no idea where to go. Both schools are beautiful and have great writing programs, which is something I'm interested in, but I really can't decide between the two and am down to the wire--I have to decide by Saturday! Any input anyone has would be great...Santa Cruz, or Oregon?

By Kate12 (Kate12) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

help! anyone!

By Dstark (Dstark) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

Where do you live and what experience are you looking for in a college?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

Don't know if this helps but there's a housing crunch at U of Oregon --- very difficult to even get freshman housing and most people end up having to move off campus after freshman year.
Oregon tends to have more of a drinking-party culture as well. One nice thing in Oregon's favor, however, is that they have an excellent journalism program so you could get some skills in that area which might help you support yourself as a writer.

UCSC is smaller (and the residential college system makes it seem even more cozy), doesn't have as much of a housing crunch, good academics.

As Dstark indicates, it really depends on what you're looking for in a college experience. Trust your instincts and go with the school that feels best to you.

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

So, do you like to surf? My husband always thought Santa Cruz was the coolest area for that. But I went to U of O, many years ago, after transferring from Lewis & Clark. Stumbled into the journalism department which turned out to be excellent and I'm a published novelist now. I still think very highly of that department and apparently the creative writing wing of things is good too. As for the drinking culture, it seems to me that U of O is big enough that you can find all kinds of people and cultures there. Yes, they've had some outright riots in the streets there in the past few years, but that doesn't mean you have to be involved. Our son ended up there, also stumbling into his department, and it all turned out well. I really know nothing of UC Santa Cruz for comparison. Seems to me like it would matter a lot where you'd like to BE. Where do you live now? Are both schools out-of-state? Good luck. Guess you're coming down to the wire!

By Roh (Roh) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

look at the other UCSC threads...that will help you to decide.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page