BU Med vs. STANFORD

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: BU Med vs. STANFORD
By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

Guys, I'm in real need of some help.

My stats profile is:
http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=dr_slc

now, i've narrowed my choice (a decision that must be made in 4 days) to Stanford and Boston Univeristy's Accelerated Medical Program.

BU guarantees you a seat in medical school, though it binds you to this med school, should you progress in the program

Stanford provides a Stanford undergraduate education, though it might be extremely competitive to get the grades and make it more difficult to get into a med school

Both campuses were nice and I probably will be happy at either one, but not overwhelming (thus, i still have a decision to make)

Please express opinions!
Thanks!

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:08 am: Edit

Stanford. Stanford has about an 80% med school acceptance rate, and to many schools better than bu med. Also Stanford gives u so many options if you decide not to go to med school since it is super strong in everything. Also, you will get a supurb education and experience at Stanford.

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

THank you, Masterchris

One concern that I have is that my high school record may affect my medical school application coming out of Stanford, since I have actually completed Introductory Biology I, General CHemsitry I, II, General Physics I, II at the college level with (relatively) less-than-stellar grades.

Will this have an effect?
Any other decision opinions would be appreciated!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

You do have a dilemma, but I know of another student in a very similar situation (Columbia vs. BU Med) and he opted for BU. He preferred the accelerated program and not having to "interrupt" his academic momentum to apply (and agonize) over the college admission process again. He also liked that he was 'guaranteed' into med school without having to take more tests and prep courses. It's something to consider.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

I think definitely Stanford. You may *think* you're 100% certain you want to do med school right now... but so many people become open to new ideas when they go to college. Stanford will allow you to explore everything and enjoy whatever you do. You may (probably will) end up applying to med school anyway, but if you work hard at Stanford you'll pretty much definitely get in.

By Nanagose (Nanagose) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

From what I've heard from people I know that go to Stanford, it isn't that tough to get A's. This leads me to believe that it's a soft school academically. My guidance counselor told me the story of a kid he knows that did the bu med program (I applied but wasn't accepted into it). He said that the kid loved the program and met some extraordinarily intelligent people there. He felt challenged and stimulated. I'd say go for the bu med program. It's so much less hassle, not to mention the fact that they are flexible about getting out of the program. If, after four years of undergrad, you think you get into a better medical school, you get out of the program. if you decide not to be a dr., you can get out of the program. BU is a respectable school, and even if you decide you want an MA or PhD instead, you still have a great chance of getting into a good program if your grades are good.

what did you mean by the fact that you've already taken some premed requirements? is this at a local community college, or through AP credits? in either case, be wary: most of the top med schools won't accept AP credit, and they will be very suspicious if your premed requirements were taken anywhere else besides your home school. if you do the bu med program, they'll make you take these again, and if you go to stanford, even if they don't make you, you should because you'll just forget it all by MCAT time.

plus, bu med comes with a scholarship, and we all know how much med school costs, and how much you'll make as a resident after!

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

well...one of the drawbacks is that the bu med program actually does not allow you to apply out (probably because of its rather integrated curriculum)

As for college courses, i've taken Intro Bio I, General Chemistry I, II, General Physics (Calc-based) I, II, along with Calc I, II (two semesters of single-variable) at the community college and local state university. In either situation, I would prefer to take these over again, since either 1.) it was so long ago, 2.) i'd rather be safe with a solid foundation in those important classes.

Having said that, what do you think?

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Stanford is not easy, espessially for math and science and premeds. The avg overall gpa is only like 3.3, which is more than mit but less than Harvard. People at Stanford work really hard for their grades, even though they are the cream of the crop.

By Nanagose (Nanagose) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

great news!! BU med DOES let you opt out of the program in the middle of it. they told me personally that you could, and it's also in the curriculum book. you can either go back to being a regular old premed or forget about med school altogether.

yes! take these again. they shouldn't be as hard the second time around, which will give you a nice boost in your sci gpa. don't try to get credit for them at your college, and if they don't get onto your transcript, nobody will ever know you've taken them.

most of what i know about stanford is from my cousin who is a student there. my aunt has repeated said that he doesn't have to do much work (not nearly as much as her daughter, who works her butt off at columbia). one prof even told him that, as long as the kids came to class, he would give them all A's. of course, there will be professors like this everywhere, but i trust my cousin and aunt to give me an overall picture. btw, though, my cousin is having a ball and loves the school.

you're from southern cal? this might factor into your choice. have you visited BU? i've never been to stanford, but i can imagine that the atmosphere is quite different. would you be ready for boston's cold winters, etc.? it sounds trivial, but hauling yourself back and forth for vacations and stuff might get to be a pain. i'm going to the midwest for school (i'm actually from the boston area), and that is just about as far as i would go.

good luck!

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

As for the opt-out, I just read that the deal is that you can opt out, and be a regular pre-med and thus apply out to other medical schools (given that you're confident that you can get into a better med school), and forfeit your admittance to BU Med SChool.

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Lean (Lean) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

But if you opt out, you will be getting the undergrad education at BU when you could have attended Stanford for undergrad. And for what?

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

i think BU and not solely becuase of the med program, but also becuase its one of the top ranked programs, bot the best, but a good program, and in the end i think you'll be happier you didn't have to go through the admission process a second time. also the top 3 things med schools look at are: grades, mcat's, and internships and stanford is VERY challenging for pre-meds, and medical schools care a lot less about where you went then your grades so its not like they'll see stanford and be ultr impresseed

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Being a top ranked program doesn't equate to being a top ranked med school, just one of the better programs that allow for guaranteed acceptance to med school.

My decision now, down the the fundamentals is, is a Stanford quality of undergraduate education/prestige of the institution more important to me than an essential guarantee into medical school meaning less work/pressure/competition.

Any more opinions?
1.5 days left!

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

any final comments on the pre-med competition, grading at stanford?
thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page