Emory, tufts, or umich?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Emory, tufts, or umich?
By Jjjj5777 (Jjjj5777) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

What do you think? Emory, Tufts or Umich? i'm from california.

By Topcat0214 (Topcat0214) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Well...my experience has been that Californians have trouble with cold weather - and they just miss California. Nevertheless, I think you'd like Tufts or Michigan better than Emory. Tufts has the advantage of being near Boston and is smaller. Michigan is a city unto itself and students there have incredible school spirit. Great sports. Your intro classes will be huge at Michigan though. Overall, I'd say Michigan. Go Blue!

By Homebrew311 (Homebrew311) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Personally, I would pick Emory. I have actually visited all three schools and i liked Emory the best. Since all of these schools are great academically, i think it comes down to the social experience you are looking for. Emory has a beautiful campus (centrally located just outside Atlanta, in druid hills) and a really cool atmosphere. I found the people to be really friendly and from a variety of different places. Its a good mix. Being a fellow Californian, i could relate if your worried about leaving! I LOVE California, its a hard place to beat, and its beautiful here. Actually Atlanta sorta reminded me of Los Angeles, and i kinda liked that. The weather isnt as drastic as the other two either. Tufts is another great option. It has Boston, which would definitely be worth the cold! But its not exactly located in Boston. For some reason i was just turned off by tufts, and maybe thats just me, but i felt it was a little snobby...but i have friends who went there and loved it. Also i visited during a snow storm, and the student picked to speak at the info session was not very interesting, so that could have definitely contributed to my negative view. If you had to rule one out I would say Michigan...despite the great school spirit and location in a fun college town, i felt that Michigan was way too big. A friend of mine (from Cali) who attends now didn't get some of the classes he needed and now will not graduate in time. I felt if i wanted a big school like that i could find it in California nearer to home and cheaper. Its really cold too, a big change weather wise, and personally i didnt think it was worth it.
well, good luck!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page