Out of State CA Student (Drivers)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Out of State CA Student (Drivers)
By Mexor (Mexor) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

What is the law like for people who live outside of CA, but go to school there. If you want to bring a car in (for the school year) do you have to get it registered in CA?

By Rana (Rana) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Yes you do; in fact, they're cracking down on that: the state just announced this week a turn-in-your-neighbor program urging people to call the CHP on people they know live in the state but have not re-registered their cars (many folks try to get around our high fees by registering their cars in other states w/ PO box or relatives'/friends' addresses). See the article below:


By Lamom (Lamom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Mexor, it is rather expensive for car registration in CA and you aren't going to live here yr long, plus all the smog and out of state fees. I believe that the LA times said students were not in this group they are after. I will try to ck for the article. I wouldn't worry, perhaps other parents can advise you.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

I see many, many, many out of state license plates in the USD parking lot so I wouldn't worry about registering the car here - as Lamom said, it's really expensive to do so. I believe that as a student your "permanent residence" will still be considered your home state.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Students are exempt

By Rana (Rana) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Here is the law on this; the key is intent to become a permanent resident:

All out-of-state license plates and automobile registrations need to be changed to California plates and registered within 20 days from date of receiving a California Driver's License or the day that you become a California resident. You are considered a California resident and have 20 days to register your car here if you: accept gainful employment; rent or lease a residence off campus; enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll your dependents in school, grades K to 12; or show your intention to live here on a permanent basis by getting a California Driver's License, acquiring other licenses, or registering to vote.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page