Colby-esque?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Colby-esque?
By Justmom (Justmom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit

Our S looked at Colby and really liked the campus. He loved the expansiveness, the setting and the unified architectural style. It would be a huge reach school for him, though. Any thoughts on a campus with a similar feel? He's a solid A-/B+ kid with scores around 1250 and the usual ECs. Geography is not an issue, but a heavy Greek scene would be a problem. Thanks.

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:44 am: Edit

Middlebury and Dartmouth

By Asdad (Asdad) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

If Colby is a reach, do not apply to Middlebury or Dartmouth.

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

sorry--i didn't read through the entire post carefully--my selective vision only noticed that your son was looking for a college whose campus/atmosphere was similar to Colby's. As Asdad said, my suggestions would be uber-reaches if Colby is a stretch...sorry for the confusion.

By Hoping (Hoping) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

maybe holycross? hard to say without a better picture of your son.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Grab the USNEWS College Rankings edition or subscribe to the on-line version. Forget the overall rankings, just use it as database of info.

They list liberal arts colleges as a separate category, 214 of them. Next to each school on the chart are the 25th/75th percentile SAT scores, etc.

The useful thing about the online version is that you can sort the list by categories: for example, sorting by selectivity rank will list the LACs roughly in order of how hard they are to get into. Or you can rank by academic reputation (based on a poll of college pres, provosts, and adcoms).

Very handy resource for coming up with options to consider. Honestly, it's much MORE valuable once you get past the "designer label" schools that everyone has already heard of.

By Bevie (Bevie) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

It's really COLD there-snow a lot of the year. Unless you're used to that or like it that might be something to consider. My son really liked it too, but ended up going to Vanderbilt and loves it there (and the weather is a lot warmer,too!) Course he has to fly home and back--we're from Long Island. Otherwise it would be an 8 hour drive one way for us to Colby.

By Justmom (Justmom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Thanks for the ideas.

Anything that looks like Colby? Lots of land, contained campus, uniform architecture. a nice quad/green/commons area?

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Just seconding Interesteddad - the $12.95 for the online version is money well spent. You can also do an advanced search for selected majors for, say, more selective and selective schools in a geographic areas. Excellent for an initial first cut on schools.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Try some of the midwestern schools perhaps:
Kenyon, Lawrence U (Wisc), the College of Wooster (Ohio), and Denison come to mind. In PA, Dickinson has a beautiful campus. If he's open to a more urban environment, one of the most beautiful campuses I've seen is Rhodes College in Memphis - beautiful gothic style buildings that look like they were lifted straight from England.(But Rhodes does have a strong Greek system).

By Velvetoneo (Velvetoneo) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Marlboro, Bennington, Clark University (not that pretty, though), Wheaton-Massachusetts, Alma, Kalamazoo, Alfred, Hobart and William Smith, St. Lawrence U.

By Justmom (Justmom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Hmm. Sounds like a trip to the MidWest is in order. The only school I know anything about on Carolyn's list is Kenyon. Anybody want to weigh in with their experiences with these schools?

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

My son visited Denison this spring and really liked it. Beautiful campus.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

If you come the Midwest, also check out Baldwin Wallace and John Carroll in Cleveland; your son's stats would put him in the top quartile of applicants.

I would also suggest Allegheny College in Meadville, PA. Two of our programmers graduated from there a couple of years ago and loved it. Wooster and Dennison are both pretty highly regarded within Ohio - no special knowledge of them, however.

By Bohunter (Bohunter) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I would look at Union College in Schenectady, NY. It is an absolutely beautiful campus, very traditional. The school, founded in 1795, is similar in some ways to Colby. Also, it is in a small city, which means it is less isolated than Maine. Still has the snow, though.

Also look at Hamilton College, perhaps one of the prettiest colleges around. It is very competitive, but might be a little less than Colby if not the same.

Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland has a small but beautiful campus with bright, brick buildings and pathways. It is only a mile from the scenic Chester River and set in a quaint little town. I chose this school for myself. Less snow and less difficult to get into, most likely. It is really a gem of a small school, and it is only 1 and 1/2 hours away from Philadelphia, Baltimore, or D.C., but in a pastoral Eastern Shore setting.

Check the posts and websites on these three, and consider visiting.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

And if you're going to do a midwest tour, you might also check out: Beloit, Knox, Saint Olaf, Earlham. Two other schools with absolutely beautiful campuses and top notch academics are
Trinity University in Texas and Southwestern University in Texas. Austin College in Texas also has a nice campus.

All of the schools on the first list I gave (Lawrence, Wooster, Kenyon, Denison) are excellent schools. If any of them were on the east coast, they'd be "hot" schools (actually, they all are becomming hot schools--although Kenyon already is a hot school.)

I'd also suggest ordering a few of the college walking tour video's from Collegiatechoice.com - they really give you a sense of what the campus really looks like and have been very good in helping my daughter weed out possibilities. They were done by two guidance counselors from NJ who just travelled to each school and videotaped the actual walking tour given by admissions.

By Justmom (Justmom) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Although Denison is better known on the east coast, the Fiske Guide says Wooster is the more serious academically. Opinions? I have heard the Denison campus is stunning. Is Wooster's?

We looked at Union and it is beautiful. Def on The List. I thought Hamilton might be too hard to get into, but perhaps it would be a good readh school. I'll research Allegheny, too. I don't know anything about it.

Thanks for all the ideas.

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

University of Richmond--great campus, not as competitive as Colby.

By Topcat0214 (Topcat0214) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Wooster's campus is very pretty, but not stunning. Colby definitely has a warm, friendly feel to it -- which I think Wooster has as well. Kenyon's campus is also pretty - and just as isolated as Colby's. Kenyon is easier to get into than Colby. Also try Kalamazoo and Dennison. Rhodes in Memphis is supposed to have one of the most beautiful campuses around. I think Bucknell might be similar to Colby in terms of campus architecture - a little bigger.

By Par72 (Par72) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

Might want to look at Bucknell or Holy Cross. Holy Cross has a very nice campus with a lot of school spirit.Another advantage to HC is a very strong national alumni network with traditional ties to ivies in athletics and grad school placement.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

Justmom - does your S have any special academic or career interests?

By Justmom (Justmom) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:36 am: Edit

He's good in math (better grades), but prefers English. We think he has good writing abilities. He felt comfortable at Colby -- reports that some smaller campuses have felt "claustrophobic", liked the outdoor emphasis and found the tour guide friendly and laid back. He may apply to Colby, but it will be a reach school. He's willing to go anywhere (we're from the Northeast), but prefers minimal religious affiliation and Greek life. Wooster keeps coming up on these postings, but no one out here seems to know it. This may be a concern if he wants to come back here and work.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

I would also he take a look at Allegheny. Very lovely campus although more eclectric in the architecture department. Greek scene is present but does not dominate. I would not worry too much about the college not being really well known in your area. If he does well and has good recommendations, it won't matter too much.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

You might be interested to know that Wooster has graduated many corporate CEO's. One of the unique features of Wooster is that every student does an intensive senior research project - great for showing to prospective employers. They also have a fair number of employers recruiting on campus.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page