London School of Economics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: London School of Economics
By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:40 am: Edit

For an international student studying at an American school where the American system is prominent (AP system, SAT's...etc...)

What does LSE look in an international student from an American system...Do they look at SAT's or ignore them...etc...

Plz..a lot of help is needed!

Thx
Posth

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

anybody???

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:15 am: Edit

selection into British Unis are purely based on academics and not based on the diversity you can bring to the University. Its a lottery to get in to the top british unis these days. Anyways why LSE? The work load is so high and it is practically filled with Asians that you have no diversity at all. If I were you, I would go to a fun liberal art college to study.

By Riccochet (Riccochet) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

I got into LSE this year. I think doing IB's will help you greatly.

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Well...the problem is that I'm not American. I'm French and i'm studying at an American School and would love to go to an American university but they are way too expensive and so LSE is my best choice because of how close it is to home (France,) and how cheap it is. Unfortunatly, the school that I go to (American School of Dubai in the UAE) doesn't offer an IB program and so I just took as many APs as they offered. Basically, LSE is my best fit as far as I know and obviously my next question (now that i have found where I want to go,) is how to get in.

I will be going to 12th grade next year and upon graduation, will have been in AP U.S. History, Biology, Calculus, Spanish, English, Macro and Micro Econmics. I have a GPA of 3.8 so far. Since British Universities don't really bother with ECs I won't post them. I need advice on how to improve my chances on getting in.

Thanks for responding.

Riccochet, can you please post your statistics and where you attended. I know i may very nosy but I just want to set you as my example.

Thx

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

If the American system is prominent at your school, probably your best bet is to act as though you're applying from the US. I did so to British schools this year (though not LSE, but similar - Oxford, UCL, Bristol, etc) and was accepted to all of them. My understanding is that standardized testing is important, especially SATs and SAT IIs (esp. if one is offered in the field you're applying for). APs also play a huge role because they, as far as I can see, treat them as roughly equivalent to British A-levels. Warwick asked me to send them my HS transcript (but they were the only one), but by that point I had already been accepted at Oxford and didn't see much purpose, so I withdrew my app there. I think ECs can and do play a role, but only indirectly. In my personal statement I discussed everything I do in my free time and all my interests and why I'm interested in them, as well as my reasons for wanting to study in the UK. I think this played a large role in my success, to let them see me as a well-rounded person through that statement. However, I'll let you know that my personal statement was extremely straightforward and not frilly or risky or silly or anything, like many of my US app essays were. I got the feeling Oxford and the like didn't want to put up with any US silly BS. ;P

That's all I can think of for now... if there's anything else I can help you with please let me know.

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

Thx a lot Voigtrob.
You pretty much answered all of my questions.
Congrats on making it into Oxford!

By Riccochet (Riccochet) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Here are my stats.I sat for my AS Levels in Bangladesh last May and I'm going to sit for my final A Levels this May.
I think I got in purely due to academic reasons, although I was happy with my personal statement.I had one of the highest marks in AS economics in Bangladesh (297/300).I personally agree with Voiqtrob's advice on the personal statement. An informative but interesting statement can enhance your chances of getting in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page