MIT vs Cornell vs UIUC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: MIT vs Cornell vs UIUC
By Tbone (Tbone) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

intended major: mechanical engineering

MIT offers: $25,000 in grants, only one person that I know within a 5 hour radius.

Cornell offers: $22,000 in grants, $10,000 in loans, one person from my school matriculating next year.

UIUC offers: will cost $2000 per year, most of the people that I know now will be going there next year.

I probably want to go to graduate school or business school afterwards.

By Tbone (Tbone) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

bump

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

That's a tough decision. Prestige-wise MIT can't be beat, although Cornell isn't shabby either. UIUC is good for engineering, but does not have as much recognition as most of the other good engineering schools. As far as college life goes, Boston is by far the most colorful and active of the college towns. MIT's business school is ranked 2nd in the nation, so going to MIT undergrad might make it easier to get in.

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Unless money is that much of a problem that Cornell and MIT really wont be doable, I'd say cross UIUC off. I know its good, but its going to be High School Ver. 2, if most people you know are going there. Branch out, meet new people, live in a different area, expand your horizons.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page