Willamette, Puget Sound, Pacific Lutheran

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Willamette, Puget Sound, Pacific Lutheran
By Jupiter (Jupiter) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

My boy has been accepted with similar scholarships to these schools. Are they a "pick 'em" or does anyone have a constructive comment. He also got in at UC Santa Barbara, which we are trying to steer him away from.

Good Music, Writing Math skills. Not very mature in general though.

By Dagnytaggart (Dagnytaggart) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 07:34 am: Edit

I haven't been to Willamette, so I can't say much about that school, but I've been to the other two and although PLU is more musically inclined, I'd recommend UPS because as I said in a similar thread, PLU is REALLY brown and unattractive and the food is horrible (at least it was when I went there two years ago) but UPS looks much more decent and I hear that UPS students get into pretty good grad schools. IMO, UPS has a much better reputation.

By Asdad (Asdad) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

I have only visited Willamette. I believe it is similar to UPS in academics, but has a different "feel". Visiting would help decide.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

I have visited Willamette and UPS. They are both similar academically. The both have different "feels". Greek life seems more important at Willamette than UPS. UPS has a unique housing option that lets you get a house with 3 other people around a specific interest. Willamette is across the street from the state capital and is more a part of the city where UPS is in a more residential area. Between these two, it is kind of a toss up depending on what your kid wants.

By Mike (Mike) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I didn't apply to Willamette because it is too close to home. Am going to UPS Loved the location Great sking, warer, Big city minutes away Both have Music programs UPS is better for sciene and Willamette for Poly sci and history. PLU bad area fine music hall.

By Mike (Mike) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I didn't apply to Willamette because it is too close to home. Am going to UPS Loved the location Great skiing, water, Big city minutes away Both have Music programs UPS is better for science and Willamette for poly sci and history. PLU bad area fine music hall. Lots of Music majors locally go to all three. Warning Salem is boring But only an hour to the coast and Portland and 90 minutes to skiing

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

personally i think plu isnt really in the same league as the other two...well my decision came down to willamette and ups and heres why i picked willamette.
1. Great location...it is in the middle of salem right across the street from the capital of oregon.
2. More Dorms...I was very interested in staying on campus and having a tight campus feel and ups just doesnt have very many dorms.
3. I am going into Poly Sci and History.... Willamette has in those two areas better programs.

I think that you will find that both are very good schools with beautiful campuses and you cant go wrong with either...good luck

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

We're in the neighborhood of these schools so have some passing familiarity. I've been to conferences at PLU and have to say that it really isn't in a very nice area. Haven't visited U of Puget Sound but friends have sent kids there and people seem happy with it. We looked at Willamette for our son but he went for University of Portland without doing any other applications. Willamette was a bit too close to home for us. Also, my husband really thought being in Salem was a drawback-- not as good of a college town as Portland, Eugene or Corvallis. I think it really does have a lot going for it and has a good reputation. The campus itself is beautiful. Traditionally it's kind of been the place for the future political types to go and is a bit more conservative than U of PS, probably. Sorry I'm not much help with specific programs, but we were going on vague feelings of would our kid be happy here? ourselves. You better visit!

By Asdad (Asdad) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:12 am: Edit

Most people that visit UPS & Willamette have a preference for one or the other, but only your son will know his own preference.

By Bahamamama (Bahamamama) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

We visited all 3 schools and PLU was the top choice for my S. They have an incredible Music Hall and although the area of Tacoma isn't the nicest, the campus is attractive and safe. He knows several students that have went there and loved it. UPS was my personal favorite. Beautiful campus and a nicer area of Tacoma. The student body seemed a bit more liberal than PLU and the housing options are great. I also liked Willamette but I think the nightlife is pretty dry. The train station is right near campus which makes access to Portland or anywhere else easy. I think all 3 colleges are comparable and your son would be happy at any of them.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

One of my D's best friends is going to PLU. Frustrating kid in that she's very bright, gets top grades, but seldom risks taking challenging classes...encouraged by her parents to be "safe" and "compliant," e.g., would never dream of coloring outside the lines.

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Nobody should get too excited about the train being near Willamette U., imagining this gives easy access to Portland. Our trains out here in the west just aren't the same thing as in New England at all. Which is to say, it probably only runs north once or twice a day!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page