Transfer to UNC-CH or UVA...which one???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Transfer to UNC-CH or UVA...which one???
By Lynsaywolfie (Lynsaywolfie) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I was accepted as a transfer to both UNC-CH and UVA, and I don't know which I want to go to, seeing as I'm not super familiar with either school or the areas. I live in Las Vegas, NV, and right now I go to UCSD. Any opinions that anyone has of UVA or UNC-CH would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Jared (Jared) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I'm a junior in high school so i don't go to either school, but I looked at Virginia and I'm kinda interested in UNC so in my opinion
1) I think UVA is a better education
2) UNC has nicer weather but UVA's weather is def not bad
3) Both schools are very southern and preppy but UNC is more southern
4) Its very easy to get into UNC in-state so you get a lot of rednecky kids from NC going there
5) Both campuses are very beautiful

I really liked Virginia and I'm considering going there. I would def pick that over UNC

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:42 am: Edit

Personally, I'd choose UNC over UVA. It's too close to swing blindly, really - find out more about the two schools, esp. opportunities in your areas of interest, and make your decision on that..congrats!

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

UNC. The kids at UVA are preppy, not the ones at UNC. If you get lost, someone is always nice enough to tell you where you need to go and not everyone is rednecks lol. UNC is one of the most liberal schools in the south too.

UVA, indeed OVERALL, is a higher ranked school, but that depends on the program. IN journalism, UNC wins without any contest.

Consider overall college life and strength of program before you consider a hs junior's opinion. No offense.

PS. Im a transfer from NJ...I'm going to UNC

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

It's not easy AT ALL to get into UNC in state, so don't say false things when you have no idea what you are talking about and don't have much knowledge about colleges and admissions. It's rude to assume that people in NC are rednecks, because that's not true at all..especially in Raleigh. We are one of the most educated places. I am actually from another state, but everyone seemed so smart when I moved here. I have talked to people who applied, and most of them did not get in. My school is one of the best public high school in the state, and rejectees outnumber acceptees at by a ton. A lot of people in NC don't even bother to apply because it is so tough and they just go to NC State or another UNC campus. I know people with 4.3s and 1400s, and good extracurriculars who were rejected, and I know people out of state with around 1320s and 4.0s who got in, so just don't assume things. And, it's not "rednecky" at all. A ton of people come from the Raleigh and Charlotte areas, which are transient areas, so you have a lot of people from other states. Yes, there will be people from small towns, but not many at all, and even if they are, they have worked hard to get in and they are not dumb by any means. You have to be extremely smart to get into Carolina so there's a lot of intelligent people there.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

You said it Duncan

By Apacolypse (Apacolypse) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Man, I'm like the biggest pusher of this site, but it's great. Plus, it'll give you more insight about UVA. http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/university_of_virginia. To be honest, both schools are very similar. It will come down to your visit and feel for each place. I chose UVA because of all the intangibles: the history, its beauty, the amazing classes, and the extremely tight bond among students and alums. I felt like I was joining something very special when I went there. (When you click on the site, you'll see what I mean.)

By Insntynonchalan (Insntynonchalan) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

okay.....trying to offend the native north carolinians aren't we? There are cities in North Carolina, mind you. Just as many as are in Virginia. For example, I group three cities together that are a lot alike: Richmond, VA, Charlotte, NC, and Atlanta, GA. I have been to and been around all three of these cities, and grew up in Charlotte. Virginia is no more northern than North Carolina is, and as for the "red necks," there are quite a few in both states. Of course, I have also seen these so called "Red necks" in rural northern areas, so I doubt there is much of a difference in that area. Now, as for the difference in schooling, it really depends on what you would like to study. If you like foreign languages, go to UVA. If you like business, go to Chapel Hill. You might want to do some research before making a decision.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

From an alum of UNC graduate school now living in Virginia.

Get two pieces of paper. On one write UVA and on the other write UNC. Put them in a hat. Close your eyes. Pull one out of the hat. Go to that school.

There is so little difference between the two schools that this is as good a technique as any for deciding.

You can't loose no matter which one you choose.

By Lynsaywolfie (Lynsaywolfie) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I decided on UVA...thanks for your help.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page