Yale versus Duke AB Scholarship (Full Ride) Please HELP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Yale versus Duke AB Scholarship (Full Ride) Please HELP
By Jaymench (Jaymench) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

I am accepted to Yale and to Duke and have won the DUKE AB Scholarship. The scholarship is academic based, and provides 4 years of tuition, a summer in oxford, and research oppotrunity. Yale is ofering no financial aid, and thus I am torn between the two schools. I want to be an engineer of some sort, and come out of collehe to a top job. WHERE SHOULD I GO? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

If you really need to ask, go to Yale. To me, this is a no-brainer -- you will get so much more -- not so much out of "Duke", but what is being offered to you AT Duke. And why throw away $120,000 on top of it?

So if it is really a question, go to Yale.

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Duke, without thinking twice. Congratulations!

But Mini is right - if you're unsure, it means you aren't as comfortable with Duke...if your heart is with Yale, go to Yale.

By Jaymench (Jaymench) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Thanks. I want to major in engineering, and everyone is telling me that Duke is better than Yale. Should that change my thinking.

By Jaymench (Jaymench) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

ADVICE???

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

duke is better than yale i think but if you really have to sit there and think which is the better deal, then i think your heart truly lies with yale and you should go there

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Advice is: I don't understand why it is even a question. But perhaps you do.

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

go Duke, get the opportunity at oxford+free tuition. Duke's campus is gorgeous and in engineering Duke is just as good as yale. And if you want Bioengineeing, Duke is #2 in the nation (behind JHU) Besides, Duke has immense school spirit and great sports teams to watch (if you're into that sort of thing)

I'd go duke for the free tuition and the great atmosphere (ie, not the stuffy, cold New England)

By Salmon14 (Salmon14) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Someone in my grade has narrowed down her options to Duke (with AB scholarship) and Yale, the same situation as you.

Last I heard, she is leaning towards Yale.

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

id say duke, unless ur really rich. for engineering its better, oxford is great.

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

cost ur parents nothing for college that is the same in quality, prestige, and almost everything else, and better in sports, or spend 120 grand. go to duke

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Duke. The differences between the two schools in this field are negligible when you consider the other trade-offs. True, you may get a better overall education/experience at Yale, but you'll come out with $120,000 in debt. That is NOT worth it when you can get a full ride and a trip to Oxford at Duke.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

wow, id normally say yale....
but

duke

By Gk06 (Gk06) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

go to duke.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

I know of a student two years ago who had the same dilemma: Blue Devils versus Bulldog Blue. He went to Duke and has never regretted the decision. He thinks his education is better because of the personal attention he's received at Duke (which is saying nothing against Yale, BTW). His only gripe is a minor housing problem for sophomores. Anyway, with the money saved, his parents bought him a rather nice car -- and then started a tuition fund to cover his grad school studies -- which'll probably be at Yale. Go Blue Devils -- and then start looking at cars.

By Snuffles (Snuffles) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

Duke

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

I also know someone who went to Duke on the full-ride scholarship after being accepted at a bunch of more prestigious schools. He was also very happy with his decision, and felt that he had much more personalized attention and mentoring at Duke than he would have at a school where he was just one of the crowd. And he is now in an Ivy grad school with money saved.

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

btw Duke's Engineering Programs are better than Yale's.

By Jaymench (Jaymench) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Do you all think Duke is as intellectual as Yale. The idea of a school being sporty and being very intellectual doesnt seem completly sound. Im visiting Duke again this weekend, but I'm still highly undecided.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Well, I don't think an intellectual atmosphere and sports are mutually exclusive. I'm going to Williams next year, and from all accounts, it's a very athletic school but is still intellectually vibrant.

And another thing to consider would be the student body; more specifically the fems. Yale (along with many of the other Ivy's) is known for having a pretty so-so student body in terms of attractiveness. Duke, I'm assuming, wins out in this regard.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

i know people who are miserable at Duke because it isn't intellectual enough.. the social life is all based around sports. yale would definitely be the better choice, it is much stronger academically than duke. i think if you had a chance to visit yale and duke the choice would be pretty obvious.

also yale has much better engineering than duke. yale engineering is #1 in the country according to a link someone posted (let me drag it up) http://www.sciencewatch.com/nov-dec2002/sw_nov-dec2002_page2.htm#Engineering

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

that cant be right, so many great engineering schools and you pick yale over everyone else, it might be top 10, but not #1

By Asterix (Asterix) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Jaymench -

A girl in my school had the same choice plus with MIT and chose Duke. I realize you've already made your decision Jaymench, just wondering what you chose and your reasoning.

Also, are you definetly doing engineering? I know that some people choose Yale even if they are interested in engineering because there's a good chance they'll switch majors. I have a friend going to Duke for engineering but I know of a few people in science at Yale.

You have any particular extracurricular interests? I know Yale is good if you are very active in political organizations.

Well, whichever you chose I'm sure it's for the best. Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page