UW vs. USC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UW vs. USC
By Buffstuddennis (Buffstuddennis) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

I have been back and forth on deciding whether I want to go to the University of Washington or the University of Southern California. I have visited both places and am leaning towards USC because I love the weather and being able to wear sandals and shorts all the time. This is a large contrast to Washington weather where it is constantly raining. Also, their engineering is ranked top 6 in the nation. I want to major in biomedical engineering as well. The only reason I would got to UW is that it is much cheaper as it would be in-state tuition and close to home where things will be convenient to bum off parents. It is hard to decide because both biomedical engineering programs are excellent at both universities. USC also has you jump right into your major which is a plus. Downfalls of USC is the "ghetto" surroundings. Also I have heard that everyone gets sucked into the greek system and if you don't, then those who are in the greek system will not want to associate with you at all. I dont plan to go greek, but would still like to diverse group of friends and not just stay in a clique. Like having only asian friends because I am asian. I really like USC, but that is mostly because I like the weather. If anyone could give me advice on whether more money spent at USC is worth it or whether I should stay at UW which is also a good school, then i would be very much appreciative. Another plus from USC is that I only have one friend going there as opposed to UW where all of my firends are going. If i go to USC, i wont have a ton of friends to fall back on and will be forced to make new friends. Please help me by giving me any positives and negatives of either college.

Thank you to all those who read this post

By Dontgouc (Dontgouc) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

I don't know if you received any financial aid from USC or not but if you didn't, standing purely from a $$$ point of view, I would go to UW. USC costs almost $40,000 this is especially steep considering the contrast in cost between UW and USC. I believe Washington would only cost you a total of $15,000. If USC gave cut the cost down to around $2000-25000 then I would go to USC, if not I would go to Washington. But in the end I think you have two great choices and you can't go wrong either way.

By Playtothebeat (Playtothebeat) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

man, i was in the EXACT same situation, except that both schools were out of state for me cuz i am in oregon right now.
what it came down to, was the money. UW gave me NOTHING, even though my brother goes there right now and we have a huge loan for him already. USC gave me 20k grant, and some workstudy. my parents' loans will only have to be 14,000 for next year for me to go to USC, compared to 24 for UW. this was a no brainer from that point on.
great weather, one of the best business schools, ability to play tennis every day, and like you said being in the major right away (Bus Adm for me).

so ill be at USC next year, unless something drastically changes.

just to let you know, i didnt visit either campus. i've been to UW once, and i know what it's like from my brother.

By Buffstuddennis (Buffstuddennis) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, USC gave me a 26K grant. UW will still be cheaper since I am in-state. If there is any more suggestions out there about where I should go from any other people, I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks Again

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

26k? Wow that is so awesome Buff! Congrats! I'm jealous :)

And about the Greek life at USC: if you don't care about going to frat parties, don't worry about not being in a frat. If you want to go to frat parties, you can always get on the guest list if you have friends in that frat. While there are a lot of people in the Greek system, it's not the majority. There will be thousands of guys to become friends with.

By Zevdebee (Zevdebee) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

GO TO USC!

By Buffstuddennis (Buffstuddennis) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Buffstuddennis (Buffstuddennis) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

BUMP

By Caseyatbat (Caseyatbat) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:44 am: Edit

Both are great schools. Is the 26K spread over 4 years? If so, USC is still substantially more $$. Is it worth it?
I spent 25 years in the Pacific Northwest, and have split the rest of my time between So. Ca. and Northern Ca. You are right, there is nothing like the weather here. I thought SoCal was perfect until I moved to NoCal which I actually find even nicer...maybe it's my love for seasons.
You can definitely wear flip flops and shorts for much of the year in LA. And being from Seattle, I understand that is a big draw. But at what price?
Like I said, both schools are great. My D is looking at them also. But, from what I can glean, I am not convinced that USC's academics have caught up to the $$ it is pouring into getting top students/professors yet. For the price, I have a hard time believing that there is any educational edge in most undergrad subject areas to justify the high cost. I know that they are "buying" great students and bringing in well respected professors. In fact, they just hired away the charismatic Dean of Business from the UW--who was in the middle of doing great things with Business in Seattle. But I can't convince myself that it has turned the corner from it's years as the school you "love to hate" in the Pac 10 because of it's long time reputation that $$$ can buy you anything...admission, good football, year-round sun, a good sorority/fraternity, etc. Though USC has come a long way, I still believe that it can't match the diversity of "real people" that other schools (like the U Dub) have.
I also don't buy the argument about seeing all the high school buddies at the state school. I'm from Bellevue, and, back in those days, if you went to college, you went to the U. Everyone went there. I found my niche (school based--NOT high school friend based), and really only remained close to one or two HS friends thru college. If you want your world to get bigger, it will. That will be up to you--at any school.
I love California...and the sun. But I will tell you something--there is NO place, and no people, like you will find in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe coming to Ca. would be a good way for you to come to see that!!
It's a tough decision--best of luck to you. Post your decision, please.

By Buffstuddennis (Buffstuddennis) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

The 26K is for the first year of my college at USC. I am still in the process of making my decision of which school i want to go to. I have also realized the friend argument is false as well. I have mixed feeling about which school is better for me. I have to make my decision soon and I'll post it when I do.

Thanks for the input

By Buffstuddennis (Buffstuddennis) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

BUMP

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page