USC vs BC vs Umich Ann Arbor

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: USC vs BC vs Umich Ann Arbor
By Ainokea (Ainokea) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 04:16 am: Edit

Hey!
If yall have any pros and cons concerning, dorms, atmosphere, job opportunities, overall experiences concerning any of these colleges please post them! I need to decide between the three so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

By Hsseniorpa (Hsseniorpa) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:28 am: Edit

definitely either USC or U of M over Boston College...the acadcemics just aren't as good...if I could go to any school in the world for free it would definitely be Michigan, a top 5 Graduate Business School, Engineering School, a top 10 law school and medical school, it is (along with its football team) the BEST school in the world

However, interestingly enough, I will be going to USC b/c they are giving me a full scholarship...to me money talks...LOUD

By Leob21 (Leob21) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

BC has terrible winter weather and an uptight environment. I think that USC or Umich would be much better choices.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

COME TO UMICH!!! can't compare the academics with boston college or USC. if ur getting a full ride/ a lot of money, go to USC, then fine, go there. if it is gonna cost u a ton more to go to UMICH, then fine go to USC. but don't go to boston. of all three, UMICH is definitely "the best" but i don't know ur personal situation, and it depends on:
money
how far/close u want to be away from home

By Ainokea (Ainokea) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Hey!
I just want to thank everyone for their responses... so I will be paying about the same for all 3 schools, so money isnt really an issue. But I'm just wondering why everyone doesnt consider BC to highly? From what I've heard, all of these schools are on the same level academically, except I know USC has an awesome alumni connection in Cali, and U Mich is a party school with high ranking academics, and then BC is like a 2nd rate ivy... as yall can see i'm still undecided. Any help would be loved!

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

BC was commuter school of average academics until 1980's-not highly regarded at all. Like BU and Northeastern it has benefited by its location but its academics -ranked 40th by USN are far below the academic standing of a Michigan or USC. It's alumni giving rate is very low. Still lags Notre Dame,Holy Cross, and Georgetown among Catholic schools.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

i don't know a lot about BC, but most people don't think of it as a "top-tier" school like UMICH.....i know "top-tier" isn't everything, but i'm just saying......

the schools are NOT on the same level academically. UMICH can be whatever u want it to be. if you aren't into parties, you don't have to party, but the option is there. it's huge though. if you hate huge schools, avoid UMICH, or go to one of the michigan learning communities. if all three schools are costing you the same, go to UMICH.

By Firstechelon (Firstechelon) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I'm sorry, Par72, but your judgement of BC is unnecesarily harsh, to say the least. First, I seem to recall BC began dorm life in the 1950's-60s, although I could be wrong. You say BC's academics are "far below" those of Michigan and USC, yet all you do is cite the USN ranking. I don't know what other factors you include in your opinion, but writing BC off because of its "40th" ranking is ridiculous, superficial, and silly.

BC has become harder and harder to get into in recent years, with high applicant pools increasing each year. Saying it "lags behind" other Catholic schools is quite subjective. (unless, of course, you insist on leeching off of USN "rankings") Georgetown is slightly above BC in selectivity and academics, but not by much.

To the original poster: BC has never been an "average" school. In fact, it continues to be widely respected throughout Boston, the Northeast, and elsewhere, with very good grad school placement. Unfortunately, people on CC tend to bash BC mercilessly for whatever reason. I honestly think you should look elsewhere for BC information; some people here seem to hold a grudge against that school.

By Fsu1dfs (Fsu1dfs) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

Firstechelon i couldn't of said it better myself! GO BC!!

By Ainokea (Ainokea) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I agree that there does seem to be many people throughout this website that are against BC... I live in Hawaii so I really dont know how BC is regarded on the mainland. Here in Hawaii, its pretty much considered as a very prestigious school with a low acceptance rate, but on the other hand not much is known of it because it isnt as prestigous as the other ivies on the east coast.
I was also wondering if its harder to get a job after college because of all the other ivies on the east coast...
All rite, take it easy everyone... we got 2 days to make our decision...
Aloha!

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

BC Eagles, biyotch!

By Lyss3b (Lyss3b) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

MICHIGAN ALL THE WAY!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page