Help me make my next step in life

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Help me make my next step in life
By Rickjames (Rickjames) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I am a community college student and a basketball player

my gpa this year is gonna be around 3.0 or more
my gpa last year was 2.2 unfurtunetly(sad thing is that I actually took easier classes and less credits)-family problems

I'm only about 1 quarter away from getting my AA degree but I'm gonna go to CC for 2 or 3 more quarters and finish off playing basketball there, as well as raise my grades a little bit.

my background is somewhat messed up. ever since 6th grade I have never atteneded same school for more than 2 years. I moved from my home country to central europe, than moved to IL and now ended up in WA. The only positive about that is that I learned 5-6 languages in the process. Untill now I have never really fully adopted to educational systems since every country(schools) was different. I also had to take care of my mother who was with me for most of these years and I don't regret that but it did get in my way. My fatehr supported me financialy from home but neither of my parents speak english so I pretty much had to take care of things.

I'm not sure how far my little basketball career is gonna get me but I would like to know if I have any chance of gettin into any schools in WA such as Western Washington U. WSU, U of W, Seattle Univ.

Purdue is also an option since I have lot of old friends down there, schools in Florida and Oregon I will also consider.

any suggestions and comments are appreciated, just looking for some help

thanks in advance...

By Rickjames (Rickjames) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

my major was business so far by the way but I want to change it to something like liberal arts

also if there are schools in NY that will fit me I would maybe apply there too. I'm going there for summer to help my friend who opened up a business.

By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Try to get your GPA as high as you can over the next few quarters, and then apply to WSU, UW, and WWU. Washington state universities love community college transfers, and with a good GPA you should be set.

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

Go to the academic advising office at your CC and they will help you with info about transfering to one of the WA four-year colleges. Each CC in WA has people to do that and advise you which college would be best for you. You'll probably want to finish college in WA because if you went to NY or Purdue you would have to pay out-of-state tuition.

By Rickjames (Rickjames) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

you think playing basketball makes the application look better or do they not even care?

is the gpa basically the only thing they look at?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page