UMich vs BU

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UMich vs BU
By Kahea37 (Kahea37) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

I'm torn between UM and BU, but my mom wants me to choose BU and her decision is based on their fin aid package. How much debt can a typical student expect to incur after 4 years? We calculated 80k, or 20k per year. is that reasonable? btw half of that is in loans. I also have the option of doing either undergrad or grad at UM, any suggestions?

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

if it helps, i was torn between the same schools. i received no aid from either school. After visiting both, here's what i found. (as a prospective engineer)

Umich-
Ann arbor is rural. there's a few city blocks, a few square miles of housing, and then farms as far as the eye can see. I don't like this. At all.

In terms of facilities, they seem to be top of the line--there are good research ops all around, although i get the impression that most of the fancy labs that were shown off to us are used by grad students.

I was unimpressed by the information session. Mostly all that was read off were usnews rankings which i could have found elsewhere.

BU-
Smaller program (they said they hope to yield 370 students for next year). facilities seemed fine, nothing seemed subpar at all about the place. Probably the only reason why they aren't so highly regarded is because there's only 4 engineering depts, as opposed to the multitude of those offered at mich.

Location-- at the heart of what may be the best collegetown in America. hands down.

Nothing else comes to mind right now. But i sent in my deposit for BU yesterday and have no regrets after making an informed decision. If you aren't considering engineering i hope you fould this helpful anyway.

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

1) In the midwest, UM's rep is extremley higher. I'd also think nationally that is true

2) Ann Arbor might be one of the top 5 best college towns in the COUNTRY. It houses other universities and hundreds of thousands of people. If you think it is rural and non-collegesque then you are confused with what a normal campus is like outside of an urban city.

3) While ranking ISNT everythingm it is a good indicator. UMich isn't ranked top 25 in nearly everything in the country for no reason!

4) BU is more expensive than Michigan

5) 80K in loans for either school is insane.

By Kazz (Kazz) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

"Ann arbor is rural. there's a few city blocks, a few square miles of housing, and then farms as far as the eye can see. I don't like this. At all."

uhh, what direction were you heading in?

try heading east next time and tell me what you find

and the 'town' itself has everything one would ever need. its rated one of the best college towns for a reason. too bad its so damn expensive :(

By Hsseniorpa (Hsseniorpa) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:23 am: Edit

I grew up as the son of a prof in Ann Arbor, but I was also born in Boston

Hands down, Boston is the greatest college town in the world as far as alwyas being able to find something to do with other college kids however

Ann Arbor does have the greatest football team and the best helmets in the country..seriously though, the University of michigan has a top 5 Graduate Business School, a top 10 medical school, a top 10 law school, a top 5 engineering school, and overall, it has some of the most prestigious faculty and graduates..my father was 4th in his engineering PhD class at MIT and he was a prof at Michigan, overall, it is a much much better academic school than BU

By Topcat0214 (Topcat0214) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Boston is a great town - no doubt. But Ann Arbor is far from rural. For its size, which is about 100,000 people, it is very cosmopolitan. I read somewhere that Ann Arbor has the highest per capita New York Times readership outside of New York City. There are fabulous bookstores (headquarters for Border's), coffee shops, one of the best delis in the world (Zingerman's - seriously rated as one of the top 25 food stores in the world by some gourmet magazine), etc. The University brings in top notch entertainment - music, theatre, arts festivals, speakers, etc. West of Ann Arbor, there are farms, it's true. But east of Ann Arbor is Detroit, of course, and its suburbs which are not at all rural.

In terms of academic reputation, BU can't touch the University of Michigan - especially in Engineering. Furthermore, BU barely has a campus.

Sounds to me like you decided to go to school in Boston - and BU happens to be there. Would have been a lot cheaper to rent an apartment.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

UMich is academically ranked higher than BU in almost every category (law school, medical school, business, engineering...i could go on)

wow Ann arbor is NOT rural. it is a collegetown (and a great one.) yes, Boston is bigger. but u can't say that ANN arbor is tiny....it's an amazing college town!!!!!!! i love the school spirit that's at michigan. go to Umich.

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Go to UMICH. It is much better academically and Ann Arbor is phenomenal and it's a great collegetown, while Boston U. is so urban and doesn't really have a campus.

By Dogs (Dogs) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

At BU you'll have better internship opprtunities because its a city not a town. Plus you can cross register and interact with all those other colleges, NE, BC, Tufts, MIT, Harvard, Emerson, the conservatory.A half hour to beaches and mountains. Quick train to NYC.

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

What about the debt? What would be a reasonable and an unreasonable amount to pay off?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page