Good Urban Liberal Arts Colleges??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Good Urban Liberal Arts Colleges??
By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

could someone list some good *urban* Liberal Arts Collges? I've been living in NYC and i always have, do, and will love the metropolitain envioronment more than rural ones.

I am a somewhat concientious/dedicated student with a 94.5 avg, 1310 (640v/670m-going for 1400+ next time), and numerous ECs in music (i'm a dedicated clarinetist at the esteemed LaGuardia "fame" school), Model city council, college class, Social Action Club, and hopefully founder of a MUN.

I want to study politics and economics (Law school one day) at a good liberal arts college. However, most of the exemplary ones (Williams, Colgate, Hamilton, Oberlin) are located in rural areas/small towns. Although i am keeping an open mind about location (for i haven't really experienced rural life), i am too much in love with NYU and urban life. I'm very interested at Columbia and U of Chicago, but they will be quite a bit of a reach for me.

Thus, my question: Are there any good LACs out there with strong politics/econ programs in Urban cities that i might have a chance at?

Thanks

By Fakeplastictree (Fakeplastictree) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Take a look at some of the LAC's in Boston. I know there's more than what I can think of right now, since I can only come up with Wellesley and Emerson. Hmmm...Occidental is in Los Angeles. Barnard is in New York. Claremont McKenna is supposed to have great politics/econ programs, but Claremont is further away from LA (close though I think).
Carolyn???

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Mills is a great women's LAC near Oakland, CA. (can't tell if you are M or F) Reed is in Portland which is an awesome city!! Macalester is in the Twin Cities...wow, this is hard....Goucher is near Baltimore...Carolyn, this is your department!

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

thanks guys. i'm going to start looking into those colleges right away. Portland and LA seem like great cities to stay in.

btw, i am a male, and thus Mills and Barnard are out for me.

are there any others?
thanks,
Terence

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

WOW... Trinity College is the obvious one to me... his stats match the school, and it is in Hartford (terrible neighborhood) which is about equidistant between NY and Boston. Trinity is sick. Look into it. If you would settle for a town, Franklin & Marshall College is a sick place (I go there, so I could help you out with questions).

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Here's a possibility: Haverford which is just west of Philadelphia.

Also:

Vassar's just north of NYC

Davidson is just north of Charlotte, NC

Occidental in LA; also Pomona and Claremont/McKenna east of LA

Brandeis and Tufts are in/near Boston.

Lake Forest is north of Chicago.

Emory (a small uni like Tufts) is in Atlanta.

Vanderbilt (another smaller uni) is in Nashville.

Oberlin is west of Cleveland.

Macalester in Twin Cities.

University of Denver (smaller uni)

Hope these help.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

urban LACs - Trinity, Macalester, Occidental, Reed, Lewis & Clark

suburban LACs: Claremont Colleges (Pomona, Claremont McKenna et al), Haverford, Swarthmore, Goucher

plus there are a few in small eastern and midwestern industrial cities - urban, but not major cities.

P.S. Pending your next SAT results, I'd keep University of Chicago on as a reach school.

By Procrastinating (Procrastinating) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

It sounds like Macalester would be a great school for you to consider. It is in the quieter of the two twin cities (Saint Paul), but all the urban delights of Minneapolis are just a few minutes away. I've also heard that they have a strong political science program.

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

Not Lake Forest; it is 30 miles from Chicago and totally suburban. The more interesting Chicago school would be DePaul. It's in one of the best neighborhoods, Lincoln Park, and has a good urban studies department and links to the Chicago Symphony.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:43 am: Edit

Trinity is certainly urban, but isolates itself from the surrounding area, which does not represent the best that cities have to offer--to put it mildly. I think Reed and Macalester are the best choices so far, which may be match/reaches -- and University of Denver is great too.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I would agree Sooky on Reed and Macalaster, but also look at Lewis and Clark in Portland.

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

You may also want to check out Univ of SF; maybe not as well known as others, but it has a good faculty and the location is amazing, next to Golden Gate Park (sim to Central Park) in San Francisco...

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

In the Philly area consider Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore (a bit out of the city center, but close to the urban action, plus access to Penn's and each other's classes too)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'd also suggest Rhodes in Memphis, Tenn. An excellent liberal arts school with an unbelievably beautiful campus (looks like its been transplanted from England) right in the heart of a thriving, fun city.

In Texas, Trinity University is a great liberal arts school with 2200 students located right in beautiful San Antonio.

Both schools have excellent political science and economics departments and terrific law school placement rates.

By Sufans (Sufans) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Check out Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, FL. Great campus, great Metro area (Tampa-St. Pete), great weather, about 1700 students.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

University of Richmond offers a very good mid-sized school in an attractive city. The campus is a little suburban but very beautiful.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Carolyn I should have mentioned Rhodes as well -- I was in Memphis two weeks ago for business and I stopped there to buy something to read at their bookstore. It is a lovely, lovely place, and Memphis is kind of a mini-Nashville with great music and food. And, as a Bostonian it was great to see flowers in the middle of April when we have yet to see buds on the trees. San Antonio is gorgeous too....those are great choices.

By Dotmatrix (Dotmatrix) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I would not consider Tufts to be a good urban school. It is VERY closed off from the rest of boston and the Train ride in is even more of an annoyance.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I think most would disagree, Dotmatrix. The T ride is quick, 10 minutes to Harvard Square and 15 to downtown...and Somerville/Medford Cambridge themselves are pretty urban and lively (Somerville is actually the most densely populated town per sq mile in Mass, more so than Boston!) Tufts' neighborhood, Davis Square, is a magnet for young professionals in the area and has tons to do without even venturing into Boston.

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Holy Cross located in Worcester Ma -1 hour from Boston. HC campus is very nice and school has great school spirit.

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

thanks for you help guys! i'm really starting to like trinity and haverford; and i'm still researching the long list you guys provided.
thanks again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page