Which Canadian University should I go to?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Which Canadian University should I go to?
By Creative (Creative) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

I've gotten into McMaster, Queens, and Western all for engineering. I am currently deciding on which to attend. Right now I feel that I am leaning towards McMaster, mainly because I liked the atmosphere when I went on the tour. I hear that McMaster is a very good engineering school(Gourman Report), but Queens seems to have a better reputation. Which do you think is a better school?

By Acennace (Acennace) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:33 am: Edit

I think Queens is known for hardcore science...
Go to the one where you're sure to enjoy the 4 years in.

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Of those three, Queens is most prestigious. It also has the best reputation of the three for engineering. And the nicest campus. If, however, it's important for you to have good access to an airport (dont' know if you're from out of province or country) then McMaster would be the best choice. Either of the other two is going to be a two to three hour drive to the closest airport.

By Sormuiyan (Sormuiyan) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Out of the universities in Canada, Waterloo and U of T are best for engineering I'd say. But of the three, Queens is definitely the best. I don't think you should consider Western, I haven't heard good news from its engineering students regarding job prospects.

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Waterloo is the best engineering school, U of T is ok but not that special, McGill is good too
Queens is pretty prestigious, but in the local area McMaster has a very good name and the story that it takes 2+ hours to get to an airport is OFF a lot, you can get to Pearson in about an hour with good traffic, it would only take you 2 hours in the snow or durign rush hour and even then it can be dont quicker - i live in the middle (15 min to mac and 45 to the airport so i know)
(my sister is attending mcmaster as a freshman this year and loves the engineering, but they are pretty mean there, although they have a very strong brotherhood betweenengineers but dont like any otehr faculty, love to abuse the "artsies/spatulas" - u'll learn if you go there)
typically Western isnt considered to be that good of a school but you'll likely be satisfied where ever you in canada for university, although likely not really blown away, we really are an average country

By Tri_Fm (Tri_Fm) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Yes I agree that out of those three Queen's has the best reputation/prestige. Plus it's the hardest to get into out of the three. I would recommend Queen's over Western, and Western over McMaster overall, and for engineering I would go for Queen's, then McMaster, then Western

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Somecanadianguy,

Reread my post. I said if an airport was important, McMaster would be the best choice. The OTHER two were two to three hours to an airport. It pays to read closely.

By Prisc (Prisc) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Queen's is just good for almost everything.
Sciences--McMaster is awesome
Western's engineering is okay. The got a cool Mechanical engineering building where people from all over the world test their products
You might also want to consider the campuses b/c all three are very different :)

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

missed the "other" :/

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page