Better school for an English Major going into Advertising (?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Better school for an English Major going into Advertising (?
By Volcomizedgrl (Volcomizedgrl) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Currently I'm in a dilemma as to which school I should choose to attend. I'm a transfer student from Pasadena CC, and I got into the following schools:

UCSB (Eng. Major)
UCR (Eng. Major)
Cal Pomona (Business Admin. major)
San Diego State (Business Admin. major)

I still need to hear from UCI, UCLA, and UCSD, but the deadline for Cal State is May 1st, leaving me less than 2 weeks. Ideally I would like to attend UCI, but I'm afraid my impatience is getting to the best of me. I'm an English major for the UC schools, and admitted as a Business Administration major to the two Cal State's, but my prime objective is to go into marketing/advertising. Can anyone give me some helpful advice as to what colleges are best for my future goals? (Note: I know marketing is mainly about experience so a college that has good internships would be greatly useful)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

All things being equal (i.e., you have no preference in terms of social life, campus feel, etc.), I'd recommend SDSU's business program if you're interesting in advertising. The marketing department there is top notch and Prof. Mickey Belch is considered a national expert on advertising. His brother, Joe Belch, the marketing department chair, teaches some wonderful classes on consumer behavior. SDSU also has some excellent internship opportunities in the marketing area. The nice thing about SDSU's marketing program is that the undergrad classes do a lot of actual consulting work for San Diego businesses and organizations so it's more of a "real world" experience. SDSU marketing and management professors also do quite a bit of consulting on their own so they also tend to be real-world oriented. They sometimes hire students for projects. (Bias alert: I did my MBA in marketing management at SDSU after working in the field of marketing/advertising/public relations for 20 years. I was impressed with how much I didn't know that I learned through SDSU's marketing and management professors. However, SDSU is a large school that may not be for everyone.)

However, if you want to major in English, I'd say UC Riverside might make sense. At least there you could possibly take some marketing classes too - almost a necessity if you want to break into advertising.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page