CMU vs PSU honors (the money question)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: CMU vs PSU honors (the money question)
By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

alright, i visited GAtech and i dont want to go ther (70/30 male to female, $500 plane tickets, academic reasons)

now its CMU vs Penn state honors. i want to do electrical engineering with a good solid physics foundation. i want to do real research.

Id choose CMU in a heartbeat, if it didnt cost so much

CMU total cost of attendance - $29,000
PSU TCoA - less than $14,000 (with more aid coming hopefully)

should i graduate with 9/10 the education at 1/2 the cost or go for the best education i can get?

my parents and i can technically afford 29,000 a year (thank God for foresight) but its not gonna be pretty. id have to pay for a lot afterwards, prolly take care of my parents in retirement.

PS, i would consider transferring from PSU in a year or 2 if i could get more scholarship for some schools or maybe a Stanford/Princeton/MIT acceptance.)

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

threads go down the list too fast
in other words
BUMP

By Mcp (Mcp) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

CMU is worth the $.
In 2004 USNEWS undergraduate college rankings for Best engineering programs: CMU is ranked 8, PSU University Park at 16
In EE, CMU is ranked at 10; PSU at 24

By Hsseniorpa (Hsseniorpa) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

go for Penn State...if you look at the test scores of Schreyers studnets they are really really high...about 1440...that is as high or higher than CMU...at virtually Big Ten school you will find engineering faculty from the BEST engineering programs in the country, my father was going to be an engineering prof at PSU and he was 5th in his dept getting his PhD at MIT (which is the best engineering school in the world) also my dad got MIT paid for after going to University of Florida undergrad, which is an inferior engineering school to PSU, all in all, save your money for grad school, then go to the best school you can get into

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

bump

By Washu07 (Washu07) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

penn state honors is incredibly, incredibly difficult to get into and is just as incredibly well-regarded. i would DEFINITLEY go there over CMU. i'm from pa and know a bunch of people who go to psu, one in the honors program, and they are all just loving it. i also know a bunch of people who go to cmu and despise pittsburgh and the school. seriously, go to psu, you will like it much more and save a lot of money. it's such an honor to get into the honors prog there.

By Wct (Wct) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I would ask this question from both schools. And this depends on whether you want to go to grad school or go directly into the workforce after graduation.

How many seniors have been recruited by what companies just prior to graduation. You can also ask the question regarding grad schools, (how many students were accepted). What is the default rate of student loans at each college. That will tell you how many alumni are working and able to pay off their loans.

The reason I suggest you think of this angle is that my son who is graduating from college this May wishes he would have asked this prior to attending the school he is at. Many students he knows at other colleges had work guaranteed at graduation. Companies came to the college and recruited students from certain majors. I think that is a good thing to think about.

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

thanks for the info (keep it coming if possible)

i want to go to grad skool, maybe take a year off in between, but im in this for the research and i think ittl be easier to do research at grad skool than in the workforce where ur forced to do mundane stuff. ill ask at CMU this weekend about jobs and email PSU.

anyone currently in Schreyer have any insights?

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

i vistied CMU and it was pretty much what i expected it to be. I still wish they had given me more money and my decision would be easy. they didnt and i will prolly choose PSU (ill have to decide pretty soon).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page