Need advice and help choosing college!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Need advice and help choosing college!!
By Tdtd (Tdtd) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Serious problem!
Right now I am not sure which college I want to go to. I am debating over San Francisco State University, Cal State Northridge, and Mt. Sac(community college) with my major in FILM(directing).

San Fran State Univ.(SFSU) (Located in San Fran)- Heard about this school in Entertainment magazine. Listed as one of the top Film schools in the US. Emphasis on cheap and old fashioned filmaking (which i don't prefer).

Cal State Northridge (Located in Southern Cal.)- Read in Frank Darabonts' Shawshank Redemption script that he went to their film class and gave a speech there once.

Mt. Sac (Really close to my house, in Southern Cal.))- If I go here, I will try to transfer to UCLA (film) or some other really good film schools.

Now, I would definitly go to SFSU... if I lived in San Francisco... but I don't. I live in Southern California in LA. I want to go somewhere new and meet some new people since I don't have any close friends, but recently I've been hanging out with my cousin almost every weekend and it's been really cool/fun. Since he is going to a college near here, I would be very sad if I left to go to school in San Fran and can't possibly drive back every weekend since it takes 6hrs+/12hrs+ both ways.

While going to college, I would like to intern at studios where they film commercials, music videos, and if there are, movies. Since that is what i plan to do. I want to work my way up starting with commercials, then possible directing music videos, and then eventually movies. Where would be the best place to live where there are many opportunities to intern in the listed studio production? San fran or LA?

The last thing to consider is transfering. I could go to Mt. Sac community college for 2 years and then transfer to UCLA or something but I really want to try living the dorm room life and on campus. But if this is the best choise, then I would defenitly take it. Or I could transfer from SFSU or Cal state Northridge, but it would be a lot harder since they take community college transfers first.

Please give me some advice since I need to make a decision soon! If you have been to any of these schools, please give me your input on which is the best./best decision.

By Tdtd (Tdtd) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

please help!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page