Irish and British Colleges and Universities for an American

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Irish and British Colleges and Universities for an American
By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

I am an Irish and American dual citizen, which gives me the benefits of citizenship anywhere in the European Union. However, I have been in American schools my entire life. What are some good Irish and and British colleges and universities, and what would I need to do to get in, since I have always been in American schools?

By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Coureur (Coureur) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Irish: Trinity College, University College - Dublin.

British: Cambridge, Oxford, London School of Economics.

By Lauraanne (Lauraanne) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

studying what?

By Battleofny (Battleofny) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

Trinity is an amazing school, Im hoping to study abroad there (im at Vandy now). :)

By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:55 am: Edit

Lauraanne,

I am having a difficult time deciding exactly what I want to study, I think that if the school is in England I will study political science/government/international relations(any of these, not all) and/or English, if the school is in England I think that I will study education and possibly English. Sorry, I am still a little undecided.

By Lauraanne (Lauraanne) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

hehe...that was an abrupt little comment of mine - meant to add something else to it.
As long as you have it figured out by the time you apply you'll be fine! Obviously it helps to know so we can point out universities that might be good matches for you. I did post a lot of useful websites on here for someone else with a similar question, but can't find the thread :(
www.independent.co.uk is a good place to start for info on UK universities - it has sections on different places and different courses so you can get a decent overview (the independent is a newspaper btw)
One thing to consider is that although your EU citizenship gets you tuition breaks, you might be more likely to get in if you apply as a USC (if your parents can fork out for full overseas tuition) because UK universities want money from intl students. Not sure how big of an actual difference that is.
Application process for UK schools is relatively painless - visit www.ucas.co.uk for more info. It's a single application with no real essays and you can apply for up to six courses. If you apply to Oxford or Cambridge (and you can only apply to one) you have to fill out a supplement and submit your application earlier. Most well-renowned/large unis should have a formula for converting your GPA and test scores to compare you with domestic students.
I'm not explaining this well I fear but if you have questions then ask away (I've applied to UK schools but I am a UKC although having applied to American schools I know how weird it is dealing with unfamiliar education systems.)
Don't know much about Irish schools though :(

By Stargzrlilychk1 (Stargzrlilychk1) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Battleofny, i've been thinking about spending a semester or so at trinity too. what do u know about it? is it hard to get accepted?? if u go do u have to stay for a whole year or can u do a semester? what's the curriculum like? anything else helpful i should know? thanks!

By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Thanks, I will start to look into them right now, anyone else? Any Irish schools?

By Rugger9 (Rugger9) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Hey I was just accepted to the MA english program at trinity... if youre interested in english let me know, as ive done a lot of research into the program.. im american also :) btw if anyone could tell me about the rep of queen's uni in belfast it would be a big help..

By Battleofny (Battleofny) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

My mom was born in Ireland and I have about 5 aunts/uncles that went to Trinity so I've been to the campus a few times and it is really cool -- its right in the middle of the city centre. To get in from my school to study abroad you need about a 3.5 but I'm sure it varies on each school. You don't have to stay the whole year, you should probably write to the people in charge of the study abroad programs at your school and they can probably give you some information on it.

By Valerie (Valerie) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

St. Andrews in Scottland and others in that local. I'm drawing a blank right now. but the websites posted earlier should help. One rivals Cambridge, I think. check it out. I want to say the University satrts with a B. There is somewhere a ranking list for the U.K. must like for the U.S. You need to search for it. My input is not very definitive but hope it helps to lead you on your path

By Valerie (Valerie) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

St. Andrews in Scottland and others in that local. I'm drawing a blank right now. but the websites posted earlier should help. One rivals Cambridge, I think. check it out. I want to say the University satrts with a B. There is somewhere a ranking list for the U.K. must like for the U.S. You need to search for it. My input is not very definitive but hope it helps to lead you on your path

By Valerie (Valerie) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 04:56 am: Edit

Bristol University in Scottland
I beleive I read recently that this school gives Cambridge at good run for their money.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page