UC Berkeley Fall Program vs. Cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UC Berkeley Fall Program vs. Cornell
By Madworld (Madworld) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between attending the College of L&S at Berkeley w/ an intended Computer Science (B.A.) major, and Cornell University as an Electrical and Computer Engineering Major. Here's the major dilemma -- I'm in for Spring 2005 at Berkeley.

I currently have a spot reserved for the Berkeley Extension Fall Freshmen Program (FFP), but I have some reservations. First of all, housing at the residence halls is not guaranteed for the FFP kids (an estimated 50% of us will be offered a housing contract). I definitely don't want to miss out on the social life in the off chance that I don't get housing. I'd probably cry. Anyway, in addition to that, the acceptance rate into the CS major is around 50-75%, so it's uncertain whether I even get into the major of my choice.

Then again, I'm not even sure I want to do CS or ECE anymore. (I'm somewhat losing confidence that I'll be able to handle studying these.) In that case, Berkeley is sounding good because I'll have the freedom of choosing any major from within the College of L&S. Of course, that could be bad, because I would probably never make up my mind, and be unable to graduate within 4 years! At Cornell, transferring colleges sounds fairly easy, but I'd probably stick it out in the College of Engineering. Furthermore, I could probably come out of Cornell with a B.S. and MEng within 5 years, if not 4.

This is an extremely hard decision to make, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice. Thanks!

By Madworld (Madworld) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page