Does Stanford, Rice, etc. care about NMS college choice?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Does Stanford, Rice, etc. care about NMS college choice?
By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Should I put Stanford as first/second choice on the National Merit Commended Scholar college notification service, or will they not care? If not, which of these other schools would?

Berkeley
UCLA
Rice
U Michigan
Northwestern

By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Shennie (Shennie) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

None of them will care. It won't matter one bit if you don't mention any of these schools. You can even throw the card away and not mention any of them. All it says is that you have an interest in the school and will get you on the mailing list. But you can do that by letting the school know you are interested. The only time you have to be concerned about school notification of interest is when you become a finalist in the spring and have to indicate a first choice school in order to receive merit money from the school.

By Cynner012 (Cynner012) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

yeah, they dont pay any attention to that, unfortunately. i sent mine to stanford cause im on the WL there, but my GC says they could give a damn about that stuff. colleges do want nat'l merit finalists for their stats and stuff, but most dont keep stats or care whether you're a scholar or not.

By Cynner012 (Cynner012) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

oh, nevermind, i thought at first your post said you were a scholar. Since you're talking about being commended, maybe it would help....I'm not sure, sorry.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page