English/publishing schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: English/publishing schools
By Amanda_Panda (Amanda_Panda) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

i need some advice/recommnedations...

i'm currently interested in going into the publishing field (particularly fiction books, but am leaning towards magazines) and i have no idea where to even start looking for schools, or what to major in. my ideal job is to sit down with aspiring writers and help guide them with their ideas and rheotical skills, what kind of major can i get that will fulfill this dream?

i've been told that i'll probably need a strong backing in english, with some minor emphasis on journalism and/or publishing.

can anyone help me out?

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

English degree would be best; courses in journalism, theatre, media studies, film and American studies would be good courses to add.

Schools?? Kenyon, Vassar, Skidmore, Swarthmore, Columbia, Amherst, Bennington, Bryn Mawr, Yale, NYU, Oberlin, Pomona, Barnard, Wesleyan, Brown, Reed, Smith, Syracuse, Carleton. . .

A good goal would be a summer internship with a book or magazine publisher, ideally in NYC. Excellent experience plus good for the resume and for networking.

By Amanda_Panda (Amanda_Panda) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

thanks. :) i'll have to look into some of those.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Also, Hamilton, Middlebury, Princeton, Oberlin, Sarah Lawrence, Hampshire, Occidental.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

And add Knox College, Lewis & Clark College, Denison, Muhlenberg, Smith, Wesleyan, Wellsley, Vassar, Swarthmore, Grinnell, Duke, Emory, Dickinson.

If you want more of a straight journalism bent, Syracuse University, NYU, and Boston U all have magazine journalism programs that heavily emphasize editing skills.

By Amanda_Panda (Amanda_Panda) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

thanks! i was wondering if anyone has any input about emerson college? how does it compare to other publishing schools? (Boston U, NYU, etc.)

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Emerson's reputation is more on the practical performing side of things than the business side. You might contact the adcom there for more info. www.emerson.edu

By Amanda_Panda (Amanda_Panda) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

alrighty, out of the colleges listed by other people in this thread, which are more buisness oriented?

*i already visited emerson, and am waiting for a response*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page