BU V.S. NEU

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: BU V.S. NEU
By Webex (Webex) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Boston University V.S. Northeastern University. Please compare.

By Leob21 (Leob21) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I have been trying to make the same decision and I just visited BU. I did not get a good feeling at BU, the "campus" is not for me. I'll probably be going to Northeastern.

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

which one is cheaper? and a better school for marketing/advertising?

By Dogs (Dogs) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Norheastern is easier to get into, lower stats than BU, and offers more/easier to get merit aide but has less of a campus. NE has a co-op system that is really very interesting as far as getting real work experience while in college.

By Jr86 (Jr86) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Bu is way better for marketing/advertising

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

but is it worth it going there if you don't have the money and you incur over $10,000 in debt? would northeastern or some other school like BU be better for someone in that situation like me? what other school is there?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

$10,000 as in after 4 years?... that's not bad at all must kids encounter way more debt than that... you will most likely make 40k easy your first year out of BU if you graduate from their communications school... not that big of a deal

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

wait, i miscalculated. if i get aid of say $10K a year and since bu costs like $40K a year, if i go there, i suspect my family will incur a lot more than $10K a year, a lot more!

is that about right? paying that much each year just seems completely impossible. what do you think? suggestions?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

well i guess it comes down to how much your family is comfortable paying

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

i mean it looks like bu is going to run you about 30k a year.. how much of that is your family willing to pay out of pocket? the difference will obviously have to be covered in loans, how large the difference is will be critical

By Webex (Webex) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:16 am: Edit

How about the campus? Is it true that NEU has a much better campus than BU?

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

I'm no expert, but I live nearby both and drive by them frequently...and they strike me as nearly identical from an outsider's point of view. They both have huge multi-lane streets running thru the middle (Commonwealth and Huntington), some modern and some older-looking buildings, lots of construction going on...some very new and beautiful and some old and crappy looking dorms (and some in between probably). Neither have MUCH green space, but a little if you look around. Neither are closed off from the city. NEU's is right next to the Museum of Fine Arts and Harvard Medical School, BU is right next to Fenway Park and the Charles River. Both are spending millions to remodel their campuses, which is hard because they have little room to expand in the city. Both are walking distance to much of downtown Boston, and there isn't much difference between NEU's neighborhood (Mission Hill) and BU's (Allston/BackBay), though I'd say that BU's is a bit safer perhaps....my opinion is that they are so similar that you couldn't eliminate one or the other on the basis of campus atmosphere or location.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 11:11 am: Edit

Having visited both Northeastern and BU, I would have to say that Northeastern has a far nicer and more physically defined campus. Northeastern has grassy quadrangles and tree lined brick walkways that lead from building to building. BU is really just a bunch of buildings spread along a strip of Commonwealth Avenue. Driving by NEU is very deceiving because it looks somewhat similar to BU, but you will be pleasantly surprised when you actually walk through the middle of campus (which cannot be seen from the street). In terms of location, Northeastern is in the Fenway/ Back Bay neighborhood. The area is officially called the “Fenway Cultural District.” Only a small portion of the campus borders Mission Hill. NU is closer to the center of the city than BU.

Both are good academically. Northeastern is better for engineering, computer science, and health sciences. BU is better for liberal arts and communications. I would rate them about the same for business. Except I would NEU the edge in international business and entrepreneurship. NEU's BISB program is ranked in the top twenty by U.S. News. In terms of recruiting, Northeastern's internship/co-op program gives its grads an edge over their BU counterparts in job placement.

BU may be ranked higher than NEU overall, but not for long. According to a recent article in the Chronicle of Higher Education, Northeastern should rise in the rankings in the very near future. The school is also very hot right now and seeing a major increase in applicants. Here is the Chronicle article:

http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=i7qai7vlfwmqc9zpb1suaa3zff9zznrh

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page