Dartmouth vs. Northwestern

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Dartmouth vs. Northwestern
By Mikebelinsky (Mikebelinsky) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

My problem is deciding between Dartmouth vs Northwestern. I love Northwestern because everyone there is so involved and it's so close to Chicago and it's larger than Dartmouth. Dartmouth is a great school, but I'm turned off by it's heavy drinking/partying and it's remoteness.

Any current Dartmouth or NU students (or anyone else) that can give me some advice?

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

my sister had those chocies a few years ago (and more) and went to Northwestern and absolutley loved it. she got job offers from the top consulting companies in chicago and is doing that for a couple years before she goes to med school. there were a lot of internship, co-op and job opportunites b/c of the school's closeness to chicago.

personally, i believe northwestern has better academics...but besides that, dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere and n'western is in evantson, where there are tons of restauraunts, etc and if you take the el(the "subway like system") you're in chicago in like 20 minutes. that's a definite plus!

just so you know, about 40% of northwestern students are involved in greek life - it's huge. whatever types of people you're looking for, you'll most likely find at northwestern.

By Mikebelinsky (Mikebelinsky) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

*bump*

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Don't be turned off by Dartmouth as a party school...I've never heard that before and I would expect Northwestern to have just as much (if not probably more) of a drinking scene. Every university has a drinking scene, especially the ones near the top. At both schools, however, it's very easy to have a great time NOT drinking, and you'll find many students with a similar attitude.

It sounds like you want to go to NW...that's your choice, but don't let the "ivy league" label hang you up. I would expect many NW students to have declined ivy offers to attend the school, and in terms of academics you're probably on equal footing. But if you ski, you know it's got to be Dartmouth ;) good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page