Taking a Gap Year

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Taking a Gap Year
By Princesswannabe (Princesswannabe) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

So I'm an international student here in hong kong and was thinking of pursuing my higher education in the US. I had preliminary interviews with some representatives from various universities at some educational fairs and all said I would be a very good candidate. So everything was prepared right away!
But then, just by the time I was about to send my applications to proceed further, my family's financial situation would not let me successfully go. So I'm considering taking a gap year. Well, everything is not decided yet. There are still some uncertainties, like I might be able to attend the spring semester or something. Anyway, I would just like to know if it'd be a good idea to take a gap year before heading to college. (I got someone offering me working at their company as a secretary/ in the telemarketing department. This industry is prestigious, especially this company, and was once my dream field. And I am sure of my getting an excellent resume after engaging in that company.)
What do you people think? So is it a good idea? And what points should I pay attention to? Like my applications after my gap year or sth?
Many thanks in advance to you people out there dropping me some notes.

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

I think a gap year is a great thing for making you appreciate you education. I did it and was so happy to be back in school when I got there. It seems to me it would make a great essay topic, as well, how your family's situation changed and you needed to help out. Just don't lose your focus because you're making a little money! Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page