3+2 Engeneering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: 3+2 Engeneering
By Pole_From_Swede (Pole_From_Swede) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:32 am: Edit

Does anybody here know which schools offer this programme? I have found a couple(Lawrence Univ. etc) but do you know if there are more if them?
Thx

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

VILLANOVA OFFERS A 5 YEAR MASTER PROGRAM

By Sfbbgurl (Sfbbgurl) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

UCSC

By Haon (Haon) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Williams/Columbia

By Mal8739 (Mal8739) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

NYU/Stevens

By Mstee (Mstee) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Grinnell -- I think the schools were Columbia, Caltech and one other (can't remember!)

By Wdlynn (Wdlynn) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Columbia SEAS has a 3+2 Engineering plan with a long list of mostly liberal arts schools that don't have engineering departments.

You can find the list at http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/admissions/cp/bachelors/about/affiliates.php.

By Hill (Hill) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Elizabethtown (PA) College has a 3+2 program. You are guaranteed admission to Penn State if you maintain at least a 3.2

By Enzom (Enzom) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Kenyon/RPI
Kenyon/Case Western
Kenyon/Wash U
Kenyon/Duke

The latter is for a 3+2 in Environmental Sciences, the first 3 are in engineering.

By Archermom (Archermom) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Haverford/Cal Tech
Pomona/Cal Tech
Wellesley/MIT
Smith/Dartmouth

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

An interesting thing to add to Wdlynn's list--

While columbia has the program with all of the schools listed, it's harder to get accepted from some schools than others. I've heard that they just don't reject people from Williams applying for it. I don't know about the other schools but I'm sure that there are people from Allegheny College that want to do the program but don't get accepted.

Archermom--Haverford has a 3/2 with Cal Tech? That's weird. Does Dartmouth have a good engineering program? I haven't heard good things about it.

By Archermom (Archermom) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Yes, D has been admitted to Haverford with engineering in mind. We're from Los Angeles, so it would be great. She hasn't committed yet...still looking at Swarthmore. And, yes, Dartmouth does have a great engineering program. You should check it out. Good luck!

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

from what I've read these programs sound better than they actually are for most students. Not because the education is bad, they deliver exactly what they promise.

Comments I've read in the past is that after 3 years at the liberal arts college, students are reluctant to leave their friends and the environment they have known to start as a junior at a new college. So in practice a fair number of students don't xfer and complete the program.

By Kkgirl06 (Kkgirl06) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Emory / Ga. Tech

By Mstee (Mstee) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

The admissions person at Grinnell said they currently have three students enrolled at engineering schools. I think it was one at Columbia and perhaps the others were at Wash. U. Don't quote me--the conversation was months ago, so don't know if I'm remembering correctly. But anyway, not big #'s of students doing this.

By Undecided086 (Undecided086) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

that's what I'm doing. I'm going to William and Mary and I plan to major in chemistry and minor in Math and transfer to Columbia University or Duke. Is it a good idea though? Has anyone done it?

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Pomona / Wash U (as well as Caltech, as Archermom stated)

By Akperson1 (Akperson1) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Cal Poly SLO has a 4+1 program

By Kissy (Kissy) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

I think Columbia, WashU, and Duke are the major players in the 3/2 programs. They seem to have more LAC/engineering affiliations than the other U's. As another poster mentioned, students are often reluctant to transfer on for the last two years and often times change their majors.

For students interested in pursuing engineering with an emphasis in liberal arts, there are some programs offering that without having to do the 3/2 programs. Harvey Mudd and Swarthmore come to mind. Dartmouth's program is also heavy on liberal arts and usually takes 5 years to complete, due to the LA requirements. I've also heard that Dartmouth engineering grads usually go onto grad school before entering the workforce. Not sure if this is a reflection of the program or the students. If you do a google on 3/2 engineering programs, you'll find hundreds of them. Good luck!

By Louispoois (Louispoois) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Willamette + Columbia/Washington U. in St. Louis/I forgot the other one

By Wdlynn (Wdlynn) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Like Kissy said, some LACs offer "pre-graduate" engineering majors that don't require a 3/2. Washington and Lee University (which is also a participant in the Columbia 3+2 program) offers a Physics-Engineering major that covers all of the basic engineering courses (Statics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics...) that are covered in the first couple years of most engineering schools. It's designed so students get a Liberal Arts education in undergrad and then go on to an engineering graduate school to determine their specific engineering discipline.

When I asked about the 3/2 program at W&L, the engineering professors I spoke with said that the option is not very popular because (as mentioned above) most students are not willing to leave after three years.

I was surprised to hear names like Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, and Cornell as graduate schools that are currently educating engineering majors from such a small non-science oriented liberal arts college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page