BU, Syracuse for advertising/marketing school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: BU, Syracuse for advertising/marketing school?
By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

I've been looking at colleges in the MidAtlantic & New England region (I live in NJ) that offer advertising, marketing, communications as majors.

I want to do something in marketing and advertising and I thought Boston University was a good choice. There's also Syracuse, which is only a state away and a litte less expensive. But, it was ranked in the top 20 schools that have little race/class relations. Would that mean they frown upon minorities?

Would BU be harder to get into that Syracuse? If so, how much harder and what would I need to impress either school? I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Also, if you can tell me of any other schools that are kind of like BU & Syracuse. Thank you.

By Sopranosweety6 (Sopranosweety6) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

I have the EXACT same question. I was all about being a vocal preformance major but just recently I was told its too impractical of a major so I'm going to changing my desired major to either advertising or PR.
If ANYONE has ANY information about good communications schools anywhere in the US I would REALLY appreciate it. Just as NYC has said, I know about BU and Syracuse but that's about it for right now. Thanks a bunch!

By Kbelle (Kbelle) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

syracuse's communications school is said to be the best in the country

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

how is the atmosphere at Syracuse and the qualifications to get in? do they offer generous plans to people who can't spend a lot of money?

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

bump

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Syracuse as a whole is second tier, it is pretty easy to get into the school but the communications school is among the very best. post your stats and I'll tell you your chances. P.S-i got in

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Freshman Year:
-All Regular Classes
-1 Arts class
GPA: 3.6

Sophomore Year:
-Honors English
-Honors US Hist 1
-2 Reg (Geo & Bio)
-1 Arts Class
-Spanish 3
GPA: 3.7

Junior Year:
-Honors English
-AP US Hist 2
-Honors Chem
-1 Reg (Alg 2)
-1 Arts Class
-Honors Spanish 4
GPA: 3.6

BTW, would it be better if I take an AP science (AP Bio) even though I don't plan on majoring in it?

Next year:
-AP Eng
-AP Euro Hist
-Honors Physics
-AP Spanish 5
-1 Reg (Precalc)
-1 Arts Class
GPA: I exect it to be at least 3.7

ECs:
-NHS
-Spanish Club
-Nat'l Honor Roll
-Yearbook
-SADD
-Key Club
-Over 250 hrs. Community Service
-Art Award

Class Rank: 16 of 274, Top 10%

I plan to major in advertising/marketing so I guess I'm looking towards a good communications school.

Reach- BU: Really, really want to go, except I'm not sure if my family will be able to afford it. What qualifies for BU Honors & will it even be enough?

Northeastern: in Boston! Is this school like BU?

Syracuse: Only 12 hrs. away (I live in central NJ). I read though that it had little race/class relations and mostly snobbish, rich Jewish kids go there. I'm concerned about the atmosphere

Drexel: Safety

What are my chances at those schools? I really want to go to BU or if I can't afford that or I have slim chances, my next choice is Northeastern. Money is a big factor. I'm asian, how will that affect me at these schools? Which do you think would be the best and cheapest?
Thanks!

By Nyc292 (Nyc292) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Syracuse: Only 12 hrs. away (I live in central NJ). I read though that it had little race/class relations and mostly snobbish, rich Jewish kids go there. I'm concerned about the atmosphere
>>

From Central Jersey, Syracuse is only about 6 hours away. EVen if you live in south Jersey, it would still be less than 8 hours (It's about 5 and half hours from Manhattan).

Syracuse's advertising program is outstanding, and its communications school is consistently ranked among the top three in the nation --- but BU isn't far behind. Syracuse has lots of connections with the advertising industry and very good job placement.

Syracuse is almost as expensive as BU, but somewhat more generous with financial aid and merit awards. While Syracuse overall is not super competitive to get into, getting into the Newhouse Communications School can be tough and VERY competitive. Your stats, however, look like you'd have a good chance.

As for race and class relations, BOTH Syracuse and Boston U attract a wide variety of students - both have their rich students and their poor students, their ethnic minorities, and their international students. Both schools can be cliquey at times but they're large enough that there's a place for nearly everyone at either school.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

carolyn do you have a link or something that can direct me to rankings of communications programs?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page