Cheapest Schools?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Cheapest Schools?
By Monkeyqueen (Monkeyqueen) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Hi, I was wondering if you guys would know any cheap, yet "good" colleges. Like would anyone know the best fin.aid packages for the liberal arts colleges? Thanks.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

I know quite a few. First, steer clear of schools in the Northeast - with a few exceptions, most schools in the Northeast will be very expensive. Even the schools that offer good financial aid will still end up being costly to attend if much of that financial aid will be tied to loans.

Since you mentioned an interest in a liberal arts school, I'd suggest you look at two public schools that have a liberal arts college feel to them: Mary Washington College in Virginia and
St. Mary's College in Maryland. Both are excellent schools that feel like private schools but are actually state-supported.

Other good liberal arts schools where tuition and expenses are less expensive or that offer good financial aid and merit scholarships:
Knox College in Illinois, Hendrix College in Arkansas, Southwestern University in Texas, Trinity University in Texas, Lawrence University in Wisconsin, Austin College in Texas, Tulane in Louisiana (not exactly an LAC), Furman University in South Carolina, the College of Wooster in Ohio, Dension in Ohio, Goucher in Maryland,
Centre in Kentucky, St. Olaf in Minnesota, Spring Hill College in Alabama, the University of Puget Sound in Washington, ...but there are many, many others.

If you're looking for something "different" and don't mind working to get free or almost free tuition, consider these schools: Warren Wilson in North Carolina, Bearea in Kentucky, College of the Ozarks.

And of course, thoroughly check out your state university system - you may find that you could be very happy with the low-cost education you'd receive there.

By Tcolgate (Tcolgate) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Rice is probably the best bargain in the country, especially being that its one of the most prestigious schools around

By Jtizzle (Jtizzle) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

Rice is a great bargain, as is UNC - Chapel Hill

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

don't forget berkeley! and Umich for instate...out of state is INSANE.
use princeton review's rankings, there's one about like "best academic value for your dollar" or something to that effect

By Raiti (Raiti) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

BYU is private and is cheaper than many public universities.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

Check out the public colleges in your state. If you're in NY, try the public part of Cornell or SUNY Binghamton. If you're in NJ, Rutgers. If you're in Virgina, UVa. If your in Michigan, University of Michigan...and so on.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

Publics: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UNC-chappel hill, u of virginia, u of michigan
Privates: Rice, cooper union (free), deep springs

By Jimster0489 (Jimster0489) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

U of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign and the U of I @ Chicago are both very affordable, in-state. UIUC has plenty of merit scholarships.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Tulane is one of the most expensive schools in the US....

Why did u include in your list Carolyn?

By Rlplaya31 (Rlplaya31) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

UNC-Chapel Hill has the best education for your dollar. It is strong in nearly any major you decide to enter.

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Grinnell offers a ton of aid for a LAC, UVA and W & M are relatively inexpansive and are great sources of education

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

One of my favorites is the College of Charleston, and I have heard good things about University of South Carolina too. Flagler College in Florida is an interesting possibility. So is York College in Pa. If you don't mind a school with a Christian base, Grove City is considered a good bet. Some of the SUNYs are still good deals despite the increase in out of state tuition. Some free schools are Cooper Union (for engineering, art, architechture), Curtis Institute (music), Webb Institute ( ship engineering and building), Merchant Marine Institute (may not have the name exactly right--in NY, for anyone looking into the Merchant Marines), the service academies(West Point, Annapolis, Air Force, Coast Guard).UNC Asheville is considered an excellent liberal arts value, North Carolina School of the Arts is a great performing arts bargain. Also some small schools to examine are Wells College (for women in NY, know some women who went there, loved it), Concordia College in NY. Kettering is a bargain for engineering types, Deep Springs is an unusual free experience for males ony, my son really liked College of Santa Fe when he visited, St John's in NY is the low budget NYC school. Arizona has some nicely priced state schools as does Georgia. If you are looking for a big state school, you would do better looking down south. Iowa State, Kansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Utah, West virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky all have low tuitions even for out of staters. James Madison in Va is a great school at a great price.

By Imho (Imho) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Cornell would be pretty expensive, even with if you got into the endowed colleges, because they're privately controlled and they charge a lot more than the pubic SUNYs.

I'd stick with the UCs myseld, since they are the best publics money can buy.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page