Best university in MD and DC from these choices

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Best university in MD and DC from these choices
By Phossein9539 (Phossein9539) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

I'm thinking of my plans for the next 1-2 years, as I plan to transfer to one of the following. I plan to study Biology, or Chemistry, and I was wondering which of the uni's below you guys would say is better for such a major. By the way, I plan to transfer with atleast a 3.5 by then.

GW
Georgetown
JHU
U. Maryland
UMBC
U. Maryland, Baltimore.

By Bigtymer2454 (Bigtymer2454) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

john hopkins definitely is best in the sciences

By Ct04 (Ct04) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Georgetown is excellent, if you don't mind the fact that its campus is tiny. GWU is also good, but doesn't even HAVE a campus. JHU is good in the sciences, but isn't well rounded. the UM's are excellent state schools, but nothing really special like JHU or georgetown
rankings
1)Georgetown
2)JHU
3)UMDCP
4)GWU
5)UMBC

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

JHU is also excellent for creative writing, people get blinded by the sciences aspect and ignore the fact that it has a top ranked creative writing program.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Actually, I'm going to be a contrarian. I've looked at the science programs offered at U of Maryland Baltimore County and been very impressed. I'd actually say they're better than George Washington's science programs. College Park has an excellent, excellent science program as well. For the money, you can't go wrong with either school in my opinion if you're interested in biology or chemistry.

So, I'd rank them:
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
UMCP
UMBC
GWU

By the way, it's very difficult to transfer into both Johns Hopkins and Georgetown. Johns Hopkins takes about 10% of transfer applicants each year, Georgetown about 20%. A 3.5 college GPA is going to make both schools even more of a reach for you. Best of luck where ever you go!

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

mmm...

Could UMCP/UMBC/GWU have better science programs than Georgetown? I know Georgetown is excellent, but NOT for the sciences. I've only heard mediocre things about it. It's known as a weak point in the university. Also, it's expensive just like any other private school, so it probably isn't even worth the money. So...

JHU
UMCP
UMBC/GWU
Georgetown

is my list.

By Phossein9539 (Phossein9539) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Thanks guys for your responses.
I appreciate them all heaps.

Is JHU's transfer rate really 10%? What about GW's? I'd assume it wouldn't be as high.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page