Top Unis Vs. Top LACs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Top Unis Vs. Top LACs
By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I'd like to continue a discussion from another thread that's been stopped. I'd also ask that if Humbleservant sees this, that he not contribute to it.

Also, a word about the inclusion of JHU in this: I realize that it's a large and respected research university, but on the undergraduate level, it maintains the intimacy and feel of a larger LAC, thus it's inclusion as such.

What are your thoughts on this correlation re: the Ivies and LACs?

Harvard - Amherst
Yale - Williams
Princeton - Swarthmore
Columbia - Bowdoin
Dartmouth - Middlebury
Brown - Wesleyan
Penn - Haverford
Cornell - Colgate

And then there are these possibilities:

Duke - Davidson
MIT - Johns Hopkins
Georgetown - Trinity
Northwestern - Carleton
WUSTL - Grinnell
Stanford - Pomona
CalTech - Harvey Mudd
UVa - Washington & Lee
Michigan - Kenyon
Wisconsin - Macalester
Boston College - Colby
USC - Claremont/McKenna
Notre Dame - Holy Cross
Rice - Trinity (TX)
NYU - Vassar
Cal Berkeley - Reed
Tufts - Bates

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Some of these are a little off. I mean, what are you comparing based on? I think the most accurate way to do it would be college "personalities", and if that's the case here some of these ought to be switched around a bit, hehe. NYU - Vassar? Northwestern - Carleton? WUSTL - Grinnell? Michigan - Kenyon? USC - Claremont McKenna? Those among others especially don't seem to have the same personalities to me.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Voigtrob, good idea -- I was basing it more on geography as well as reputation. Of course, each school has its own personality so it may be more difficult to place them accordingly. But please, give it a try.

BTW, have you decided yet? I guess I missed where you posted your decision. I've been following your postings. Why do I think Haverford?

By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Threads such as these serve little purpose other than to create heat. That is why I close them.

People reading such lists immediately get upset if their favorite school isn't on the list. Then they get annoyed by seeing a school on the list they do not like.

Don't we have better things to do?

<moderator>

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page