National reputation: UVa or Michigan?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: National reputation: UVa or Michigan?
By Kazz (Kazz) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

I would prefer that replies come from people OUTSIDE of Virginia or Michigan... and obviously not students at these two schools.

OBJECTIVELY, what school has a better reputation across the board. (ie in a variety of academics programs, research, faculty, athletics, etc)

IGNORE: USNews overall ranking. The overall ranking is criticized alot anyway for a number of schools. Please leave Bias out of it. If you know you love one of these schools, please do not reply.

Thanks.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Based on your criteria, I'd have to say Michigan -- however, Virginia is so very close with those criteria -- but is so different in feel as a campus -- that it would be a personal decision on that basis as to choice. And on that basis, if it were I, then Virginia.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Michigan. Virginia is not that well known outside the east and southeast. UM is a true national/international school

By Impulse (Impulse) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

In my HS however, stats has consistently shown that UVA is a lot harder to get into than Umich.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

So. Um is a lot larger than Uva. There are plenty of top students at UM.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I am in California. Michigan.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/Undergra2001.html

http://brody.com/college/resources/college_rankings.php

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

im from PA - Michigan Ann Arbor is a great skool, i dont no much about UVA

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

lol This entire thread is void simply because from the beginning, you set guidelines that eliminated the US News rankings that favor UVa. That aside, half of the posts on here are from Barrons, someone we've already established as Michigan-biased. Sounds fair to me...

not.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

If you are worried about this, go to either school and wear a t-shirt from the other one during the summer.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

I am not Michigan biased. I actually spent the last year a short drive from Uva and went there often. I very much enjoyed the football games and other aspects of the area but the faculty and facilities are far short of UM in most areas. Recent massive funding cuts add a slightly down at the heels look to the campus.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

The campus architect/designer from Stanford has just taken a similar position at UVa to bring what he did at Stanford to Charlottesville: revitalize and resusitate the campus structure and buildings as well as plan the expansions. UVa will soon be sparkling brighter than ever.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Equal time FYI

http://www.umich.edu/pres/speeches/040318regents.html

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page