Most Well-Known Schools Internationally

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Most Well-Known Schools Internationally
By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

What schools have the most well-known business program internationally? NOTE: I am asking this because I am American, but might possibly move to Ireland after college, as I have a dual citizenship there. I am not asking this because I only care about prestige, I would just like an idea of what schools are known there, I will not use this as a basis for my decisions.

By Stluciang17 (Stluciang17) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I would have to say most of the ivies. The only ones I had not known was Dartmouth, UPenn and Brown... The others are really popular especially HYP

I don't think anyone where i'm from know any of the UCs except UCLA.

Also large student body schools are known like NYU or BU and a lot of other state schools.

I didn't know any of the LACs before I researched schools to apply to.

Considering my country is small I wouldn't take this as a good account for the rest of the world.

By Seleucus26 (Seleucus26) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

um i dont no why stluciang hadnt heard of UPenn's business school, Wharton is one of the best in the world.

By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Thanks, anyone else?

By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

bump

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Wharton and London School of Economics are pretty easily the top two.

By Lauraanne (Lauraanne) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I can honestly say that I had never heard of Wharton (and its apparently towering reputation) before I came to the States...and I GO to Penn!
Mind you, that probably says more about my complete lack of interest in business than anything else.
I guess I knew about Harvard, UCB, UCLA, Stanford, the other Ivies in sort of a vague way. And obviously I'm familiar with many, many UK universities.

By Angel_Girl (Angel_Girl) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

You shoulg go to Penn. The Wharton school is AWESOME! It has a lot to offer.

By Riccochet (Riccochet) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:27 am: Edit

LSE has a great international reputation.It's ranked second in UK after Oxford in Business Studies according to The Times rankings.

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

I am from Japan, and the ones I hear of most are usually the ones that are part of famous universities. Therefore, Harvard, Stanford, and MIT are probobly the ones people think of here. I have heard of wharton, but most people hear do not even know of penn let alone wharton.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

International reputation is primarily based on grad school rankings. The international community has a tendency to overlook great undergraduate programs in the States.

By Mac87 (Mac87) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

if you are an American, you are not allowed to have dual citizenship after the age of 18, you have to choose one of the countries

By Lawyergirl4989 (Lawyergirl4989) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

That is not true. My grandparents, aunt, uncle, and mother are all dual citizens.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

what makes the Wharton school so awesome, besides its PRESTIGE and most likely prestigious professors....? just curious

By Blade409usa (Blade409usa) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Because Wharton TRUMPS all the competition!

Haha! Sorry, couldn't resist!

By Tufts08 (Tufts08) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Savedbythebell,
Because it's full of extremely intelligent and hardworking kids, Wharton gets heavily recruited. It's easy to find a good paying job right out of college.

By Blowininthewind (Blowininthewind) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

I am an European (not from Ireland though) and I believe the most prestigious US universities around here (don't know about their business programs) are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, Georgetown, Chicago, MIT and Stanford.

P.S. Never heard of Wharton

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

I lived in Ireland. Msot people have heard of Harvard and Yale, and probably Stanford, in that order. (stanford mostly because of Chelsea because they love(d) Clinton). If you're thinking of going into tech, people in that field will definitely have heard of MIT, but, curiously, not Caltech. For business, people will not usually have enough knowledge in this respect to differentiate between MIT and Wharton simply because they are less likely to have heard of Wharton. But, for the most part, those who you will eventually care about impressing with your education, your best bet is to go for the name recognition: that is, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford. Things are starting to chenge there tho. In UK they are definitely more aware of the level of rigor of American universities. Perhaps this will spread. In answer to your question, go to the most prestigious U here if you want recognition there. The difference between Princeton and Harvard business is minimal, for example, but you will get more respect there w/ Harvard.

By Julie66 (Julie66) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Though HYPS are equally well respected in US, Prin, due to lack of buisness/law/med schools, doesn't come close to Harvard or Yale and Standford in terms of international rep.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page