What would you do? -> Amherst/Wharton/Duke

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: What would you do? -> Amherst/Wharton/Duke
By Sauronone (Sauronone) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Which would you choose and for what reason?

Thanks!

By Fuzzzylogicc (Fuzzzylogicc) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

IMHO, business study as an undergrad is bogus (you'll learn about business your first couple of years in the working world), and while Penn A&S is good I'm sure, I didn't like the campus all that much. Amherst is too small (and probably isolated) for me. 1. Duke 2. Amherst 3. Wharton

By Sauronone (Sauronone) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

From what I've been receiving (i.e. Wharton information packets, etc.), it seems like Wharton places a huge emphasis on liberal arts (al beit, this is relative -- obviously not as huge as Amherst :)). Is this more or less true? I've ruled Stern out because they place almost no emphasis on liberal arts, which I significantly value.

What if I were to double major at Wharton (in a field such as English, PPE or Sociology)?

By Sauronone (Sauronone) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Jersey220 (Jersey220) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Go To Wharton

By Sauronone (Sauronone) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

Help a brother out! I hear all this babble about "who needs a business education right out of high school?" Well, who needs a business education right out of high school?!

By Masterchris (Masterchris) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

I would go to Duke, Amherst, and wharton in that order.

By Haon (Haon) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Amherst

By Nicksummers (Nicksummers) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

If you're gung-ho about Wharton (i.e. excited about the unique course opportunties), then definitely do it. If you're saying "well I can probably double-major in the college.." then the school is NOT for you. I have severals friends at the school right now (who love business), and they indicate that the students take work very seriously with a highly pre-professional emphasis and most everyone works his/her tail off figuring that Wharton's difficulties will pay off later with huge salaries and signing bonuses. It's true, but don't walk blindly into Wharton..!

Amherst, I'm sure you know, is among the best LACs in the country. If you're unsure of your direction (even if you have definite, diverse interests), this could be a great place for you. Likewise Duke is among the best universities in the country and places a huge emphasis on liberal arts. Duke will have more resources and opportunities than Amherst, but Amherst will be a lot more focused on YOU with smaller classes and more direct teacher interaction. Also, do you enjoy athletic events? Duke excels here. Location + social/academic life factor in also, but you'd do best to visit and ask your own questions here. For your business-like interests, I know that Duke students do very well at the MBA level and can take finance jobs right out of undergrad with the basic equivalent of a business minor in combination with other fields. Many students double-major there, and probably just as many choose that route @ Amherst (I don't know as much about the school, however).

If you can rule out Wharton using the above, then you still have a difficult choice ahead...but the unhelpful truth? You can't go wrong. Good luck!

By Tomohawke (Tomohawke) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

amherst cause amherst gives more personal contact w/ profs

By Jadore (Jadore) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

amherst is lame. period. do not go there unless you have visited first.

By Par72 (Par72) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

Duke

By Annakat (Annakat) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

duke or wharton. though amherst would not be a bad choice.

duke and penn have larger student bodies, better facilities, more social opportunities. amherst is just as good as duke or penn though, but they really need to build a new library. just my opinion.

By Enzom (Enzom) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

If you "value liberal arts" there really is no comparison. Amherst hands down. Duke is rather weak in the liberal arts. Don't know that much about Wharton but Amherst is the prototypical elite LAC. NO TAs!

By Asdad (Asdad) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:37 am: Edit

Small/personal -> Amherst
Large -> Duke or Penn
Penn has more prestige,
Duke has a better basketball team if that matters to you

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

WOW! Great choices

Penn, Duke then Amherst in that order

By Virginia12345 (Virginia12345) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

amherst, duke, penn in that order

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page