EE at UCLA or Bioengineering at UCSD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: EE at UCLA or Bioengineering at UCSD?
By Baller (Baller) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

Can someone please help me decide which school I ought to go to (accepted by both)? and why EE or BME, or why UCLA or UCSD? I am looking for the school that will allow me to have the most successful future and most enjoyment. Thank you for your assistance in advance.

By Baller (Baller) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

Bump

By Baller (Baller) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Bump

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Congratulations on your acceptance into 2 fine schools!

That said, you are kidding yourself if you think that picking one of these schools over the other is more important than the effort YOU put into college in deciding your chances "to have the most successful future and most enjoyment"

If you want a successful career then work hard in your classes to learn and get good grades, get internships and leadership experience, build a network of friends who you can network with as your career starts out. If you want enjoyment then get involved in your dorm, build a circle of friends, join clubs and activities that interest you.

Their are tiers of schools that can be broadly defined, but trying to shave hairs and pick the "right" school between two that are similar (like you're doing) is a waste of time. Between these 2 schools the outcome you get is going to be decided by what YOU put into it.

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Mikemac is mostly right, but the campus life at these two schools couldn't be more different from each other. Academically, UCSD and UCLA are now very close, but there are things besides academics that you can use to assess the schools. UCLA's campus environment, libraries, student clubs, museums, etc., will reinforce the over-all intellectual and social conditions that gives it the reputation that it is known for. As good as UCSD is, it has a much more suburban and isolated feel to it than UCLA does; from what students tell me, it feels like a very good but still mainly commuter school.

As for majors at each school, keep an open mind where ever you go. According to an article this week in the SJ Mercury News, computer sciences and elec eng programs are reporting something like a 20% drop in applicants to their majors as students respond to the new realities of the info/comp industry in the US, esp the huge trend of outsourcing to India. You want to keep your options open, and fortunalely for you, both UCLA and UCSD have a good selection of other majors and programs.

By Baller (Baller) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Thanks for both of your inputs.

Rana, which article did you refer in the SJ Mercury News? What are your thoughts on the future of EE vs BME?

Anyone's comments on it would be very much appreciated.

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Here is that article...I teach at Cal Poly and I've noticed that EE is still very popular here, but many of my students are telling me they are moving out of computer engineering and into other ee engineering areas, esp power systems. This is not my field, so you should check with someone who knows more about it than I do...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/8263034.htm?1c

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Rana makes a good point, and one I wished I had added in my original post. What I was trying to stress is that you have 2 wonderful choices and either is going to prepare you for a successful future. Any academic differences between the two (reputation, etc) is going to be swamped in its effect on your future by what YOU do in college.

What I wish I had added is that you should therefore make your choice on what feels more "right" to you. As Rana pointed out, the 2 schools are very different in setting and atmosphere. One or the other may be a better fit for you, and that's the one you should attend.

You have time to decide, and my guess is you're a CA resident. There are probably students who graduated last year from your HS at both schools. I would suggest contacting some of those you know and spend an overnite visit (during the week) to attend a few classes with your friends, wander around and talk to people, etc.

By Baller (Baller) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Rana and Mikemac,

I really appreciate your advice. I'm from Bay Area. BTW, I've already visited UCLA and like its atmosphere. I'll be visiting UCSD this weekend to check it out. Thanks again.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page