UVM vs CU Boulder

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: UVM vs CU Boulder
By Markpo (Markpo) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Hi. I just got back from the University of Vermont's admitted student visit day, and I am very impressed. Before I went, I was pretty confident that I wanted to go to CU Boulder but now I'm not so sure.

The city of Burlington was great, the students seemed very accomidating and pleasant, the campus was nice, the class I attended as part of my visit was interesting and the professor teaching it was funny. I ate dinner at the house of a professor who used to teach at the University of New Orleans and who is a friend of the family.

Next week, I will be attending a similar program at CU Boulder.

Let me tell a little bit about myself so you guys can get a better idea of which school is best for me. I make average grades, especially in math and science, but I generally make above average to good grades in English, Literature, and Writing classes. I made relatively high ACT/SAT scores, and I had good ECs. I'm from New Orleans, and while I do not like extremely cold weather, I do not think it should be the deciding factor for which college I choose. I do not drink, and I am not a huge partier. I have never skied, but I am sure that I will at either Burlington or Boulder. I love kayaking. I am not interested in joining a frat. There are a lot of areas and majors that interest me, but mostly stuff like english, linguistics, communication science or education.

Which school do you guys think is best for me? Thanks in advance for any input.

By Eskimo (Eskimo) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

A winter in Burlington will make Boulder seem like Honolulu.

By Markpo (Markpo) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Come on guys, I know all of you can't be Ivy Leaguers.

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

My D is in college at a different state school in CO, not CU Boulder. But I'll tell you what I've heard about it. It's definitely the "in" college in CO. It has a party school reputation, and their athletic dept. has problems I'm sure you have heard about. There are interesting shops and restaurants there. The weather isn't that bad. It does snow and it is windy, but also lots of sunny days.

I think this is the state school where the bright CO kids attend who aren't going to go out-of-state, so you should be able to find lots of kids you connect with. I think it would be a good contrast with New Orleans. It also would probably be easier for you to get back home from Denver than from Vermont. If you don't like extremely cold weather, I don't think you would be happy there.

By Oceanblue52 (Oceanblue52) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

Colorado is cold, but it's actually easy to adjust too because its dry. Vermont is freezing. I personally love Boulder, as a town. The college has a lot to offer, but it is known for being a party school. Also, when I was living in Boulder about 15 years ago(my parents told me this), it has a rep of being a school full of rich trust fund babies. That being said though, Boulder has a lot of neat stuff to explore and the academics are pretty solid. I believe their English department is pretty good, but Science is their strongest program.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page