Good architecture schools?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Good architecture schools?
By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I'm currently looking into schools for architecture, and any input would be greatly appreciated! I know I want to go into architecture, so I'm not particularly interested in the strengths and weaknesses of any other programs at the schools.

Some schools I'm interested in...
--U of Illinois at Urbana Champaign...So far the only school I've visited. I like it, its close to home, and the social scene is really good. However I don't really like how big it is, and I think I'd prefer more individual attention.
--UMich Ann Arbor...I'm guessing its a lot like U of I, except maybe a little more prestigious. And its even bigger. I'll be visiting it this summer.
--Miami U Ohio...don't know that much about
--Washington U St. Louis...also don't know that much about
--Rice...Sticks out as my favorite as of now. Its a smaller school, but supposedly still has a great social life. I'm definetly contemplating a road trip to Texas this summer to check it out.

And I'm always open to suggestions for other schools with a reputable architecture program. Besides the strength of the arch program my main concern is atmosphere. Money really isn't an issue.

Some stats on me, if it makes any difference...
-- 4.282 gpa (weighted, I don't know what it is unweighted)
-- 20/582 class rank (top 5%)
-- 30-34 predicted ACT, getting my scores back soon, also taking SAT in May
-- solid class schedule, many honors/AP
-- decent portfolio, will be working on it more this summer
-- used to do 2 sports, now work 20-25 hours a week instead

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some suggestions!

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

Cal Poly SLO....as good as it gets

By Wct (Wct) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:03 am: Edit

What about CMU?

By Brunoniana (Brunoniana) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

http://www.di.net/article.php?article_id=173

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Consider Cornell, UVa, and of course, MIT, Yale, and Harvard...here in the west: Berkeley, UCLA, Cal Poly-SLO are the obvious ones, but Colorado, Wahington, Arizona, and Oregon are worth a look too...

By Rana (Rana) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

CMU is also excellent and of course don't forget Cooper Union and Columbia in NYC

By Sleepdeprived (Sleepdeprived) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Carnegie Mellon, USC, Columbia, and UPenn also. What kind of degree are u looking for?

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check out some of those. And that ranking link is great.

What kind of degree am I looking for...? I'm leaning towards the 5 year programs offered at some schools rather than the 6 year preproffesional programs. Mainly because I don't see myself changing my mind about my career goals. I'm open to just about anything though, as long as it gets me the March at the end.

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

My roommate this year at USC transferred from UCLA for the architecture program here. It's a five year program with a lot of work, but my roommate has learned a lot and feels as if she's being well-prepared. A lot of the professors also have tie-ins with many top architecture firms, some heading their own.

By Nick13 (Nick13) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Does anybody like Rice Arch? Ihear it is very small.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

My brother went to University of Illinois in Chicago for architecture.

By A2j (A2j) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

how is architecture at tulane???

is it good!!?????????????????????

is it hard to get admited!??????????(to the school of architecture! )

By Aceofhearts54 (Aceofhearts54) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

I like Rice Arch because its small. Otherwise I'm looking at UIUC and UMich....totally opposite. In all honesty I'm not that interested with the Ivies. I think I have a shot at them, but I want to enjoy college. All the cut throat competition isn't for me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page