Yale or U of Miami Med Program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Yale or U of Miami Med Program
By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

As a high school senior, I am confident that I want to be a doctor. However, is going through a BS/MD program worth giving up a chance to an Ivy League school? I also got a full scholarship to the University of Miami so it will be cheaper to go there.

I was also concerned about the length of the program. Is six years for an MD much too fast?

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

bump

By Brunoniana (Brunoniana) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:25 am: Edit

I think you should go to Yale if you like Yale more. If you like UMiami more, go to UMiami. Ignore the other factors.

Don't worry about getting into med school if you go to Yale. Yale has the highest placement rate into the top medical schools, with the possible exception of Caltech or MIT. Yale is one of the two best universities in the world (with opportunities there like you can't even imagine, including one of the top medical research centers in the world), and you can explore all your interests there in a way you probably can't at UMiami. At Miami, you'll likely be taking almost all medical courses, especially since your program is all condensed into six years, and the two or three other classes you get to take might not be very exciting. At Yale you can be one of the nation's best pre-med students and have the opportunity of taking dozens of classes in areas other than anatomy and pathology.

Good luck with your choice though!

By Palmbeach12 (Palmbeach12) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

YALE!-- how do you KNOW you want to be a Dr. at this point?? What if things change?!

By Laceycheer (Laceycheer) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

hm... full scholarship to Umiami? What are your stats?

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Oh, pretty good. I have a 1600 and I am valedictorian of my class. However, I am still torn about the decision. I have spoken to some people who have chosen an Ivy League school over BS/MD programs, and they have had nothing but more stress.

Any advice from those at top Ivy League schools on these "opportunities that I can't even imagine?"

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Personally, I'd go to Yale. I've heard some not so great things about Miami (overpriced is the big one though, which obviously doesn't affect you). Maybe this is a generalization, but the people you meet at Yale will probably be more intelligent/interesting than the ones at Miami. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure a bunch of great kids go to Miami.

On the other hand, getting out of med school 6 years from now with 0 debt must be incredibly enticing. So, hey, either way you win!

By Uhohcollege (Uhohcollege) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

"Yale has the highest placement rate into the top medical schools, with the possible exception of Caltech or MIT. "

Caltech has good placement into med schools? or was that sarcasm?

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

No, it was not sarcasm. There was a list that Brownalum posted that stated that Caltech and MIT students get into the top medical schools. A close third was Yale.

Ahh, both ways are so tempting. I just can't decide. Any other advice?

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:52 am: Edit

yale is a far far far better school. go to yale

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page