Cal State Monterey Bay or Channel Islands

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Cal State Monterey Bay or Channel Islands
By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Hi, anyone been to CSUMB or CSUCI? Nice campuses? Housing?

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

hello?

By Rana (Rana) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

These schools are of course the newest campuses in the Cal State system, so on the one hand, they are exciting places to be as they are just getting started and their small student populations will give you small class sizes and personal attention. Both schools also happen to be in great locations.

On the other hand, they are not as well developed as other campuses and do not have their selection of majors and classes or the campus life. Campus resources won't be as great either, such as libraries. Also, these campuses have a rather odd feel to them, MB is on an old military base, and it looks like it, while CI is located on a former state mental hospital (lonely place, but I must admit that the buildings are in a very nice mission-style from the 1920s/30s).

Unless you are restricted to a particular area by finances or family obligations, you ought to consider other schools. If you are willing to relocate, and want to stay in the Cal State system, I suggest you take a look at:
1. Cal Poly-SLO (great school, but tough to get in to)

2. Humboldt State (great lib arts and natural resources programs in a stunning setting, beautiful campus)

3. Cal State Chico (nice school, great campus life, but a bit competitive to get in to)

4. SD State (nice mix of programs, good campus life, great location)

By Jastern05 (Jastern05) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

CSUMB is located just north of Monterey in Seaside. My grandparents live in Carmel (South) and I have visited CSUMB a few times while beginning my college research. It's been open for less than 10 years I think, so most everything is pretty new. It is on an old military base, which makes it unattractive because a lot of the old buildings and what not are still around. In some ways it makes it look run down. The actual dorms are nice and the so are the classrooms and everything else that is part of the school. I can tell you that the beach is 10 minutes away (Just across the freeway). Also Carmel and other surrounding areas are laid back mellow places. If you can ever get a tee time pebble beach is right around the corner.

I don't know much about the academics, but if I had to guess, it would be a good place to study marine biology being in such a nice habbitat, not to mention near the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

By Ocliberal (Ocliberal) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Thanks Rana & Jastern05. Appreciate the info.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page