USC vs UChicago... Business vs Economics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: USC vs UChicago... Business vs Economics
By Soccer885 (Soccer885) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Selection time. Right now, my top two choices are USC and UChicago, and Iím debating the Economics vs Business route. At USC, Iíve been offered the full tuition Trustee scholarship, Iíve been accepted into the Thematic Options Program (Iíd do it to improve my writing), and Iíve been invited to do the honors business thing at Marshall in which Iíd probably do the international relations emphasis. At UChicago, Iíve been offered grants through financial aid that are equivalent to the USC scholarship.

The more laid back atmosphere, better weather, LA, the availability of honors programs, the scholarship, my interest in movies and entertainment, and the fairly strong business program are the major draws at USC. The incredibly strong economics program, Chicago, the great reputation of the school as far as future jobs and grad schools go, and my interest in finance are the draws at UChicago.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which will be the best combination of a good college experience and preparation for a well paying future job in the business world? Also, how difficult would it be to get into a strong Eastern business grad school such as Harvard, Wharton, UChicago, Columbia, etc if I were to go to USC?

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

my older sister went to northwestern and had friends who wnet to the university of chicago. they all got great jobs after they graduated, but basically all of them wished they went someplace else. a lot of students at the university of chicago aren't that happy. the "campus/college life" is non-existant and it's just not a good atomsphere for social life. if you do well there, however, you will get a GREAT job basically anywhere and espec. in chicago.

at usc, if you got into marshall already and accpeted in the honors program - and you can work hard and do well in your 4 years - you WILL be able to get great jobs and WILL be able to attend ivy league grad schools. being labeled as an "honors student" def. won't hurt at all. WHat you will get by attending USC is a COLLEGE EXPERIENCE! you will attend football games and have a blast, there will be school pride, a beautiful campus - remember you only go to undergrad. 1 time! If you go to USC and do well, there's no reason why you should not get into top-notch grad schools. a family friend got into harvard law after graduating from usc and my sister know a couple of people from Marshall who now attend ivy league b-schools. to sum that up - it is very feasible to attend top-notch programs and to get excellent jobs after graduating from usc, if you put that effort to it during your 4 years.

Also, if i am correct, you can actually specialize in business areas (finance, int. business, etc) at USC while at U of Chicago you can just be an econ major? I'm not sure. I would say this choice is pretty difficult - but if i were to trust myself to put in 110% as well as experiencing a true college life - i'd go with USC if i were in your shoes.

i'm from the chicago area, and turst me, i love it so much, more than LA! i'm also interetsed in finance and am going to Michigan over Northwestern b/c i want to go to an undergrad b-school and i think i'd fit in their atmosphere better. I can always consider, and so can you, going to U of Chicago or Northwestern (kellog) for grad school.

it seems to me that you'd bet "happier" at USC from what you posted b/c you want to expierence a variety of things. more people at USC are involved in campus activities.

just my two cents.

By Soccer885 (Soccer885) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Thanks for that bit of info. I still feel a bit torn, seeing as though I exhibit a social side and an intellectual side in equal proportions. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of maintaining a high GPA at UChicago (particularly in the Econ program) while not being utterly consumed by work and studying?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page